Taylor expansion for f(x,y) about (x0,y0) ?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
izzy93
Messages
34
Reaction score
0
Can someone please explain the Taylor expansion for f(x,y) about (x0,y0) ?

Would really appreciate some sort of step by step answer :)

thankyou
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Simple, just take a Taylor expansion in [itex]x[/itex] around [itex]x_{0}[/itex]
[tex] f(x_{0}+h_{x},y_{0}+h_{y})=f(x_{0},y_{0}+h_{y})+h_{x} \partial_{x}f(x_{0},y_{0}+h_{y})+h_{x}^{2}\partial_{x}^{2}f(x_{0},y_{0}+h_{y})+\cdots[/tex]
Then take the Tavlor expansion in [itex]y[/itex] of each term. Simple but tedious.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, it looks logical but I'm stuck on how it all comes together/
and where does the h^2(x) term in the 3rd term on the right come from
 
I am applying the 1D Taylor expansion to the x-variable. I am assuming, you know about the 1D Taylor expansion right?
 
yes I do using this equation, f(x) = f(x0) + f '(x0)/1! (x-x0) ...