Taylor polynomial of third degree and error estimation

In summary, it seems that the homework asks for the taylor polynomial for z=cos y sin x at the origin. The first part is easy, you just need to add the x and y coordinates together. The error is found by multiplying the function by 4 and then taking the cosine of that product. This is then substituted into the original equation to find the error.
Telemachus

Homework Statement

It seems that I'm a little bit lost about this exercise. It says: Find the taylors polynomial of third degree centered at the origin for [tex]z=\cos y \sin x[/tex]. Estimate the error for: [tex]\Delta x=-0.15,\Delta y=0.2[/tex].

So, I did the first part (the easy one), the taylors polynomial for z at (0,0) looks like this:

[tex]f(x,y)=x+\displaystyle\frac{1}{3!}(-x^3+3xy^2)+R_4((x,y),(0,0))[/tex]

Then I've found the expression for the error:
[tex]R_4=\displaystyle\frac{1}{4!}(\cos c_2 \sin c_1 x^4+4\sin c_2 \cos c_1 x^3y+6\cos c_2 \sin c_1 x^2y^2+4\sin c_2 \cos c_1 xy^3-\cos c_2 \sin c_1 y^4)[/tex]

Now, how do I estimate the error? I have to say that the error will be something like [tex]R_4\leq{}k[/tex], I have to find "k". Should I consider [tex]c_1=0.15, c_2=0.2[/tex]? How do I proceed from there?

Bye and thanks for posting!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Telemachus said:

Homework Statement

It seems that I'm a little bit lost about this exercise. It says: Find the taylors polynomial of third degree centered at the origin for [tex]z=\cos y \sin x[/tex]. Estimate the error for: [tex]\Delta x=-0.15,\Delta y=0.2[/tex].

So, I did the first part (the easy one), the taylors polynomial for z at (0,0) looks like this:

[tex]f(x,y)=x+\displaystyle\frac{1}{3!}(-x^3+3xy^2)+R_4((x,y),(0,0))[/tex]

Then I've found the expression for the error:
[tex]R_4=\displaystyle\frac{1}{4!}(\cos c_2 \sin c_1 x^4+4\sin c_2 \cos c_1 x^3y+6\cos c_2 \sin c_1 x^2y^2+4\sin c_2 \cos c_1 xy^3-\cos c_2 \sin c_1 y^4)[/tex]

Now, how do I estimate the error? I have to say that the error will be something like [tex]R_4\leq{}k[/tex], I have to find "k". Should I consider [tex]c_1=0.15, c_2=0.2[/tex]? How do I proceed from there?

Bye and thanks for posting!

All of your sine and cosine expressions have a maximum value of 1.

You know what f(0, 0) is, right? You're interested in approximating f(0 - 0.15, 0 + 0.2)

With f you reefer to the taylors polynomial? its zero anyway, z its zero at that point, and f is zero too, cause the error its zero at that point.

I've considered [tex]c1=x=-0.5,c2=y=0.2[/tex] and I get an error of 0.000143, which I think its a good approximation, I've evaluated the function at that point, and the polinomial, and it gives an error of 0.00002.

Is this right?

What I did know was that [tex]x\leq{}c_1\leq{}0[/tex] and [tex]0\leq{}c_2\leq{}y[/tex], but I didn't know which value should I take for c_1 and c_2 on the interval. I've just made it equal, but I think I should looked for a maximum. It worked on this case, but I think this wouldn't work in other cases.

Bye there, thanks Mark.

Telemachus said:
With f you reefer to the taylors polynomial?
No, I'm not. f is the function you want to approximate by its Taylor polynomial.
Telemachus said:
its zero anyway, z its zero at that point, and f is zero too, cause the error its zero at that point.

I've considered [tex]c1=x=-0.5,c2=y=0.2[/tex] and I get an error of 0.000143, which I think its a good approximation, I've evaluated the function at that point, and the polinomial, and it gives an error of 0.00002.
No, because you should not be setting c1 to -.5 or c2 to .2. c1 and c2 are unknown numbers in the intervals [-.5, 0] and [0, .2] respectively.
Telemachus said:
Is this right?

What I did know was that [tex]x\leq{}c_1\leq{}0[/tex] and [tex]0\leq{}c_2\leq{}y[/tex], but I didn't know which value should I take for c_1 and c_2 on the interval. I've just made it equal, but I think I should looked for a maximum. It worked on this case, but I think this wouldn't work in other cases.

Bye there, thanks Mark.
I would just replace the cosine and sine terms by 1, since they will never be larger than 1.

Thanks Mark!

What is a Taylor polynomial of third degree?

A Taylor polynomial of third degree is a mathematical function that approximates a given function around a specific point by using a polynomial of third degree. It is also known as a third order Taylor polynomial.

How is a Taylor polynomial of third degree calculated?

A Taylor polynomial of third degree is calculated by taking the first three derivatives of the given function at the specific point, and then plugging in these values into the formula for a third degree Taylor polynomial. The formula is:

f(x) ≈ f(a) + f'(a)(x-a) + (1/2!)f''(a)(x-a)^2 + (1/3!)f'''(a)(x-a)^3

where f(a) represents the value of the function at the specific point, and f'(a), f''(a), and f'''(a) represent the first, second, and third derivatives of the function at the specific point, respectively.

What is the purpose of a Taylor polynomial of third degree?

The purpose of a Taylor polynomial of third degree is to provide a good approximation of a given function around a specific point. This can be useful in situations where it is difficult or impractical to use the actual function, such as in complex mathematical calculations or in computer programming.

How is the error of a Taylor polynomial of third degree estimated?

The error of a Taylor polynomial of third degree can be estimated by using the remainder term in the formula for the polynomial. The remainder term is given by:

R(x) = (1/4!)f''''(c)(x-a)^4

where c is a value between a and x. By finding the maximum value of the fourth derivative of the function in the given interval, the maximum possible error of the Taylor polynomial can be estimated.

What is the significance of error estimation in a Taylor polynomial of third degree?

Error estimation in a Taylor polynomial of third degree is important because it allows us to determine how accurate the approximation is. By knowing the maximum possible error, we can evaluate the reliability of the approximation and make adjustments as needed. This is especially useful when the function being approximated is complex or difficult to calculate exactly.