Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Taylors Remainder Confusion

1. Sep 20, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use Taylor's remainder formula to show that the Taylor series for f(x) is about the point indicated converges to f(x) for all x.

[tex]f(x) = e^{5x}[/tex] about [tex]x=0[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Since,

[tex]f^{n}(x) = 5^{n}e^{5x}[/tex],

Taylor's remainder formula for [tex]e^{5x}[/tex] and c = 0 gives

[tex]e^{5x} = 1 + 5x + \frac{5^{2}}{2!}x^{2} + \frac{5^{3}}{3!}x^{3} + ... + \frac{5^{n}}{n!}x^{n} + R_{n}[/tex]

Where [tex]R_{n} = \frac{5^{n+1}e^{5z_{n}}}{(n+1)!}x^{n+1}[/tex]

There are two cases we must consider:

Case 1: If x < 0 then,

****NOTE: The following line is the line I am confused about,****

[tex]x < z_{n} < 0,[/tex] and [tex]|R_{n}| < 5^{n+1}\frac{|x|^{n+1}}{(n+1)!}[/tex]

How do they go about making this conclusion? Do they work from the this in the following manner?

[tex]x < z_{n} < 0[/tex]

[tex]5x < 5z_{n} < 0[/tex]

[tex]e^{5x} < e^{5z_{n}} < e^{0}[/tex]

[tex]e^{5x}\frac{|x|^{n+1}}{(n+1)!} < e^{5z_{n}}\frac{|x|^{n+1}}{(n+1)!} < e^{0}\frac{|x|^{n+1}}{(n+1)!}[/tex]

And then take the limit as n goes to infinity on the outside and use squeeze theorem to prove the rest?

Where are they getting the second part of this line:

Also, they are using squeeze theorem around [tex]lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} |R_{n}|[/tex], how come they are only showing one function around [tex]|R_{n}|[/tex]. (i.e. [tex]5^{n+1}\frac{|x|^{n+1}}{(n+1)!}[/tex]) Where is the 0 term?

Once I understand this I will continue and finish off the problem, this is the only line that confuses me.

Can someone please clarify?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's because
    [tex]
    0 \leq e^{5z_{n}}\frac{|x|^{n+1}}{(n+1)!} \leq e^{0}\frac{|x|^{n+1}}{(n+1)!}
    [/tex]
    The maximum value of e^(5*z_n) for z_n in the interval [x,0] is at z_n=0. Where e^(5*z_n)=e^0=1. That's the largest value R_n could possibly have.

4. Sep 20, 2010 #3
    Where did they get the less than or equal to signs? I don't understand where they're coming from.

Also, how do you know that,

[tex]e^{5z_{n}}\frac{|x|^{n+1}}{(n+1)!}[/tex] is indeed larger or equal to 0?

Is it because the minimum value for e^(5*z_n) for z_n in the interval [x,0] is at z_n = x. Where e^(5*z_n) = e^(5x) which is always less than zero because x < 0.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  5. Sep 20, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I put the less than or equal signs in. That part isn't very important. The point is just that (as you said) z_n is between x and 0. So 0<=exp(5*z_n)<=1. So |R_n| is bounded below by zero and above by the expression replacing exp(5*z_n) with 1. And yes, again. The value of the upper limit goes to 0 as n->infinity.

6. Sep 20, 2010 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You want a bound for |R_n|. An absolute value is always >=0. And z_n is in [x,0]. And exp(z_n) is never negative. Are you trying to make this confusing?

7. Sep 20, 2010 #6
    No I'm not trying to make this confusing, I'm trying to understand it. Didn't you get things wrong when you were learning?

My concern is that I've been doing problems and I always have trouble proving that,

[tex]lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} R_{n} = 0[/tex]

In order to do this I need to make use of the squeeze theorem, and in order for me to use squeeze theorem I have to be able to assign the correct boundaries around [tex] R_{n} [/tex] for a given range of x. (i.e. x < 0)

I'm trying to understand this so I can consistently show that either [tex]lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} R_{n} = 0[/tex] or not.

8. Sep 20, 2010 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure, I got things wrong when learning. But this seems to be getting more confusing. If you can show |R_n|->0, then you have automatically shown R_n->0. You don't need a 'correct lower bound' for |R_n|. 0 will work just fine. Worry about the upper bound. Show that goes to 0.

9. Sep 21, 2010 #8
    Okay I'm going to give this another shot.

Case 1: x < 0

So, [tex] 0 > z_{n} > x[/tex]

Since,

[tex]|R_{n}| = 5^{n+1}e^{5z_{n}}\frac{|x|^{n+1}}{(n+1)!}[/tex]

We can see that in the range [tex]0 > z_{n} > x[/tex] the largest value we can obtain for [tex]e^{5z_{n}}[/tex] will be obtained when we set [tex]z_{n} = 0[/tex].

We can see that,

[tex] 0 \leq |R_{n}| \leq 5^{n+1} \frac{|x|^{n+1}}{(n+1)!} [/tex]

[tex] 0 \leq 5^{n+1}e^{5z_{n}}\frac{|x|^{n+1}}{(n+1)!} \leq 5^{n+1} \frac{|x|^{n+1}}{(n+1)!} [/tex]

Dividing all terms by [tex]5^{n+1}[/tex] ***NOTE: This step I'm not too sure about. I need to get the [tex]5^{n+1}[/tex] terms out so when I take the limit of,

[tex]5^{n+1} \frac{|x|^{n+1}}{(n+1)!}[/tex] as [tex]n \rightarrow \infty[/tex]

I will get 0. With the [tex]5^{n+1}[/tex] term there I'll get [tex]\infty \cdot 0[/tex]

EDIT: I am able to simply state that,

[tex]lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}5^{n+1} \frac{|x|^{n+1}}{(n+1)!} = 0[/tex] ???

How is this justified? (This is what the given solution states)

Plowing on...

[tex] 0 \leq e^{5z_{n}}\frac{|x|^{n+1}}{(n+1)!} \leq \frac{|x|^{n+1}}{(n+1)!} [/tex]

Applying squeeze theorem,

EDIT: Now that I think about it, since I removed the, [tex]5^{n+1}[/tex] term it isn't really, [tex]|R_{n}|[/tex] anymore because that term's not there, right? So how do we deal with this?

[tex]lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} 0 \leq lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} |R_{n}| \leq lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{|x|^{n+1}}{(n+1)!} }[/tex]

We can see that,

[tex]lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} 0 = lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{|x|^{n+1}}{(n+1)!} } = 0[/tex]

Therefore we can conclude that,

[tex]lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} |R_{n}| = 0[/tex]

So,

[tex]lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} R_{n} = 0[/tex] for all x < 0.

How does this look? Again, there's that one annoying [tex]5^{n+1}[/tex] I'm not sure how to get rid of in there, but other than that everything seems to make sense. After I figure that part out I'll move on to case 2: x > 0.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  10. Sep 21, 2010 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

DON'T divide by 5^(n+1). You've got
    [tex]
    0 \leq |R_{n}| \leq 5^{n+1} \frac{|x|^{n+1}}{(n+1)!}
    [/tex]
    NOW do the squeeze by showing lim n->infinity |5*x|^(n+1)/(n+1)! is zero. If you can show the limit of |x|^(n+1)/(n+1)! zero you can surely show the limit of |5*x|^(n+1)/(n+1)! is zero.

11. Sep 21, 2010 #10
    So my task it to show that,

[tex]lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}\frac{|5x|^{n+1}}{(n+1)!} = 0[/tex]

Well we can do the following,

Let [tex]y = 5x[/tex].

Now surely it's trivial to see that,

[tex]lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}\frac{|y|^{n+1}}{(n+1)!} = 0[/tex]

In fact, now that I think about it, it was trivial to see that simply,

Is true, no?

I want to make sure what I'm doing is justified and I'm not just assuming the limit as n goes to infinity is 0.

Is this correct, do I need to show anything more? (As far as this limit is concerned)

12. Sep 21, 2010 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Unless you've already proved it in the course, it probably wouldn't hurt to say why you think lim n->infinity |y|^(n+1)/(n+1)!=0 for all y. You seem pretty confident. And it's certainly true. Why do you think so?

13. Sep 21, 2010 #12
    We did prove it in class. Our professor said we can simply use it as a tool at our disposale without justification.

So I should be okay stating,

for all x < 0.

If that's okay I'm going to move on to case 2: x > 0 in my next post.

14. Sep 21, 2010 #13

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why wouldn't it be ok? If it's true for all y, then it's true for y=5x. Good idea to move on.

15. Sep 21, 2010 #14
    Case 2: x > 0

So,

[tex]0 < z_{n} < x[/tex]

Since,

[tex]|R_{n}| = 5^{n+1}e^{5z_{n}}\frac{|x|^{n+1}}{(n+1)!}[/tex]

We can see that in the range [tex]0 < z_{n} < x[/tex] the largest value we can obtain for [tex]e^{5z_{n}}[/tex] is when [tex]z_{n} = x[/tex].

So we can see that,

[tex] 0 \leq |R_{n}| \leq 5^{n+1} e^{5x} \frac{|x|^{n+1}}{(n+1)!} [/tex]

Applying squeeze theorem,

[tex]lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} 0 \leq lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} |R_{n}| \leq e^{5x} lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{|5x|^{n+1}}{(n+1)!} }[/tex]

Since,

[tex]lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} 0 = e^{5x} lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{|5x|^{n+1}}{(n+1)!} } = 0[/tex]

Therefore,

[tex]lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} |R_{n}| = 0[/tex]

and it follows that,

[tex]lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} R_{n} = 0[/tex] [tex]\forall x[/tex]

Since we've examined both cases.

How's this look?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook