Taylors Series/Remainder for ln(x) about x = 1

• Thread starter jegues
  • Start date
In summary, the Taylor Series for ln(x) around x=1 will converge to ln(x) for all values of x between 1/2 and 2, as shown through a proof using the remainder term R_{n}(1,x). The troublesome term in R_{n}(1,x) can be bounded by using inequalities and the squeeze theorem. Therefore, we can conclude that the Taylor Series for ln(x) converges to ln(x) for all values of x between 1/2 and 2.
jegues

Homework Statement

Determine whether the Taylors Series for ln(x) converges to ln(x) around x=1, for x [1/2, 2].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]f(x) = ln(x)[/tex]

[tex]f^{1}(x) = \frac{1}{x}[/tex]

[tex]f^{2}(x) = \frac{-1}{x^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]f^{3}(x) = \frac{2}{x^{3}}[/tex]

[tex]f^{4}(x) = \frac{-6}{x^{4}}[/tex]

[tex]\vdots[/tex]

[tex]f^{n}(x) = \frac{(-1)^{n-1}(n-1)!}{x^{n}}[/tex]

So,

[tex]ln(x) = (x-1) - \frac{1}{2}(x-1)^{2} + \frac{1}{3}(x-1)^{3} - \cdots + \frac{(-1)^{n-1}}{n}(x-1)^{n} + R_{n}(1,x)[/tex]

Where,

[tex]R_{n}(1,x) = \frac{(-1)^{n}}{(n+1)} \cdot \left( \frac{(x-1)}{z_{n}} \right)^{n+1}[/tex]

We can see that the second term (The one with [tex]z_{n}[/tex] in it) is the one that causes problems. It is trivial to show that the limit as n goes to infinity of the first term is 0. (We proved it in class)

So there are 3 cases that we should consider:

Case 1: x=1, everything will converge to 0.

Case 2: [tex]\frac{1}{2} \leq x < 1[/tex]

It follows then that,

[tex] \frac{1}{2} \leq x < z_{n} <1[/tex]

We can use, [tex]\frac{1}{2} \leq x < 1[/tex] to try to gain for information about the term that is causing problems with our remainder.

[tex]\frac{1}{2} \leq x < 1 \Rightarrow \frac{1}{2} - 1 \leq x-1 < 1-1 \Rightarrow \frac{-1}{2} \leq x-1 < 0 \Rightarrow \frac{-1}{2z_{n}} \leq \frac{x-1}{z_{n}} < 0 [/tex]

Looking back at,

[tex] \frac{1}{2} \leq x < z_{n}[/tex]

we can see that,

[tex]z_{n} \geq \frac{1}{2}[/tex] or [tex]2z_{n} \geq 1[/tex]

Working with this some more we can see that,

[tex]\frac{1}{2z_{n}} \leq 1 \Rightarrow \frac{-1}{2z_{n}} \geq -1 [/tex]

Therefore we can say that,

[tex]-1 \leq \frac{-1}{2z_{n}} < \frac{x-1}{z_{n}} < 0[/tex]

i.e. [tex]-1 < \frac{x-1}{z_{n}} < 0 \Rightarrow |\frac{x-1}{z_{n}}| < 1[/tex]

This is what our professor wrote down in order to prove the following,

[tex]|R_{n}(1,x)| = \left| \frac{(-1)^{n}}{n+1} \cdot \frac{(x-1)^{n+1}}{z_{n}} \right| < \frac{1}{n+1} \cdot (1)[/tex]

Therefore,

[tex]lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} |R_{n}(1,x)| = 0 \Rightarrow lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} R_{n}(1,x) = 0 [/tex].

I'm confused about how he got rid of that unwanted term,

[tex]\left(\frac{(x-1)}{z_{n}}\right)^{n+1}[/tex]

by using the inequalities stated above. He seems to jump around a lot and it's hard to follow.

EDIT: Looking at it again, he first shows that,

[tex]\frac{x-1}{z_{n}} < 0[/tex]

Now if he can prove that this is also larger than -1 it will be a small negative number inbetween (0, -1) and no matter what power we raise it to, let's say n+1, it will still be really close to 0.

Is this his attack?

Can someone try to explain his reasoning another way or offer me some insight? If I tried to do this problem without looking at my notes I don't think I'd be able to reasonably conclude that,

[tex]lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} R_{n}(1,x) = 0 [/tex]

For Case 2: [tex]\frac{1}{2} \leq x < 1[/tex]

Any advice/tips/ideas/insight would be greatly appreciated! (After I will attempt case 3)

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Case 3: [tex]1 < x \leq 2[/tex] seems to make some more sense so I'll attempt it in this post.

It follows that,

[tex]1 < z_{n} < x \leq 2[/tex]

Again, we can use, [tex]1 < x \leq 2[/tex] to gain more information about our problematic term in [tex]R_{n}(1,x)[/tex].

One can see that,

[tex]0 < x-1 \leq 1[/tex]

[tex]0 < \frac{x-1}{z_{n}} \leq \frac{1}{z_{n}}[/tex]

From here we can see that,

[tex]\frac{1}{z_{n}} < 1[/tex]

So here's where I'm at,

[tex]0 \leq |R_{n}(1,x)| < ?[/tex]

We need to figure out an upper bound so we can apply squeeze theorem.

We know that,

[tex]\frac{x-1}{z_{n}}[/tex] is less than 1 but larger than 0.

Hmm...

I'm not sure how I can find that upper bound I've been looking for. If I think of anything I'll simply edit this post.

Feel free to make any suggestions if you have any!

Related to Taylors Series/Remainder for ln(x) about x = 1

What is a Taylor Series/Remainder for ln(x) about x = 1?

A Taylor series is a way of representing a function as an infinite sum of simpler functions. In this case, the function is ln(x) and the simpler functions are powers of (x-1). The remainder is the difference between the actual value of ln(x) and the value calculated using the Taylor series.

What is the formula for the Taylor Series for ln(x) about x = 1?

The Taylor series for ln(x) about x = 1 is given by: ln(x) = (x-1) - (x-1)^2/2 + (x-1)^3/3 - (x-1)^4/4 + ...

What is the purpose of using a Taylor Series for ln(x) about x = 1?

The purpose of using a Taylor series for ln(x) about x = 1 is to approximate the value of ln(x) for values of x that are close to 1. This can be useful in situations where it is difficult to directly calculate the value of ln(x).

How accurate is the Taylor Series for ln(x) about x = 1?

The accuracy of the Taylor series for ln(x) about x = 1 depends on the number of terms used in the series. The more terms that are included, the closer the approximation will be to the actual value of ln(x). However, the series will only be accurate within a certain interval of values around x = 1.

Can the Taylor Series for ln(x) about x = 1 be used for values of x outside the interval of convergence?

No, the Taylor series for ln(x) about x = 1 can only be used for values of x that are within the interval of convergence, which is typically a range of values centered around x = 1. Using the series for values outside of this range will result in inaccurate approximations.