Teach me about classical mechanics please

In summary, classical mechanics is a branch of physics that involves applying mathematical rigor to understand the motions of objects and their interactions. It attempts to unify relativity and quantum mechanics, but a satisfactory theory has not yet been found. Mathematicians can contribute to finding a solution, but it requires a deep understanding of various mathematical concepts. This includes analysis, Lie group theory, topology, category theory, and more. Further research is needed in order to fully understand and solve the problem of unifying relativity and quantum mechanics.
Krunchyman
I have no prior experience in physics, but I am a math undergrad so I know calculus, differential equations, linear algebra and stuff like that. So I'm ready to move from the conceptual "bedtime story physics" to stuff with real mathematical rigor.

So, what is classical mechanics all about? What are the big theorems and results?

Physics news on Phys.org
This wikipedia article should give you a good overview of what classical mechanics is all about. Note that this article links to almost everything else about classical mechanics, so you should follow all the links, especially the ones in the expandable/collapsible table in the upper right of the page.

Likes ISamson and Chestermiller
440px-Modernphysicsfields.svg.png

This might not 100% relate to the OP, but it caught my eye...

Attachments

• 440px-Modernphysicsfields.svg.png
    440px-Modernphysicsfields.svg.png
    8.4 KB · Views: 1,306
ISamson said:
View attachment 214443

Does quantum field theory try to unify relativity and quantum mechanics? If not, what it is supposed to do?

Quantum Field Theory is special-relativistic quantum theory. No one has worked out a quantum theory that plays nicely with general relativity, although a lot of effort has gone into looking.

Ibix said:
Quantum Field Theory is special-relativistic quantum theory. No one has worked out a quantum theory that plays nicely with general relativity, although a lot of effort has gone into looking.
Can mathematicians contribute to this problem?

Krunchyman said:
Can mathematicians contribute to this problem?
Definitely. But ideally they would contribute to the solution.

Likes CWatters, ISamson, NTL2009 and 8 others
A.T. said:
Definitely. But ideally they would contribute to the solution.
To what extend can they contribute to the solution? What are the research areas?

Krunchyman said:
To what extend can they contribute to the solution? What are the research areas?
I'm not qualified to comment directly. My reading of what little I know is that we have no shortage of skilled mathematicians and no shortage of candidates for theories. But none is totally satisfactory, basically because theorists are shooting more or less blind. We haven't yet probed the regime (we may find we need something bigger than CERN) where existing theories differ significantly from experiment.

A.T. is being funny, but I think that's the long form of what he's saying.

You may wish to look at the current (or recently) featured thread on a "krisis" in physics.

ISamson said:
View attachment 214443

I prefer the cube:

cube.jpg

Attachments

• cube.jpg
    cube.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 702
Likes DrClaude, ISamson and Krunchyman
The Bronstein cube https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matvei_Petrovich_Bronstein
apparently the author of the first dissertation on Quantum Gravity.
http://people.bu.edu/gorelik/cGh_FirstSteps92_MPB_36/MPB-all_94_e_TOC.htm
http://people.bu.edu/gorelik/cGh_Bronstein_UFN-200510_Engl.htm
http://people.bu.edu/gorelik/MPBronstein_100/MPBronstein_100.htm

In my dissertation, I have a hypercube, with an additional "discreteness of spacetime" parameter ranging from discrete to continuous.

Last edited:
Yes. One of the issues is that it is difficult to do the calculations on the various quantum gravity theories to determine just what they predict. The math is *hard*. So mathematicians have their work cut out for them -- to find enough structure in the theories so that the calculations become feasible. Just about everything from analysis, Lie group theory, topology, category theory, and the lot seems to get involved. All of which tells me we need more theoretical insights into the theories we already have and better calculating techniques.

1. What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the motion and interactions of physical objects, using Newton's laws of motion and the concepts of forces, energy, and momentum.

2. What are the main principles of classical mechanics?

The main principles of classical mechanics include Newton's three laws of motion, the principle of conservation of energy, the principle of conservation of momentum, and the principle of least action.

3. How does classical mechanics differ from quantum mechanics?

Classical mechanics describes the behavior of macroscopic objects, while quantum mechanics describes the behavior of microscopic particles. Additionally, classical mechanics follows deterministic laws, while quantum mechanics allows for probabilistic outcomes.

4. What are some real-world applications of classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics has many practical applications, including understanding the motion of objects in space, designing bridges and buildings, predicting the trajectories of projectiles, and developing technologies such as cars and airplanes.

5. What are some common misconceptions about classical mechanics?

One common misconception is that classical mechanics is outdated and has been replaced by newer theories such as quantum mechanics. However, classical mechanics is still widely used and is considered accurate for most everyday situations. Another misconception is that classical mechanics only applies to objects on Earth, but it also applies to objects in space and on a microscopic level.