Teachers, why online homework?

In summary: Online homework is a waste of time and a complete pain in the ass. I don't know how professors who do it stand it.
Feodalherren
I realize that there is significantly less grading to do for professors with online homework. The program does everything for you. However, from a student's perspective I absolutely abhor it. It makes me want to go postal when I have to re-do questions because of round of error (sometimes the program doesn't carry as many sig figs as my calculator). Everyone I've spoken to in engineering and science hates online homework. Not only that, in addition to paying hundreds of dollars for the textbooks we as students now have to pay pretty much an extra $ 50 to sign up at random homework websites to get access. This is absolutely despicable.

I thought professors had their TA's do all the grading anyway. So what exactly is the deal with online homework? Some things are better left to be done with pen and paper.

Science news on Phys.org
Yeah, I had the same problem with one of my chemistry classes. We had to buy this program for online homework, and the system for putting in answers was a waste of time to learn, and if it wasn't exact, like an accidental 2 spaces between elements instead of 1, it would tell you it's the wrong answer, and you don't know why it's wrong. So you could get wrong answers for something that would have been graded as correct by a human eye. So if the program allows you to change it only once or twice, you have to waste your time finding out why the program thought the answer was wrong, and maybe even end up getting it wrong because you make some other mistake that has nothing to do with chemistry.
So yeah, I agree, it's dumb.

Chemistry online homework should be banned in the US constitution. It just doesn't work. At all. Just learning the programs takes hours upon hours and once you've learned it the subject changes and you have to re-learn again. Next semester you take a different professor and it's a different system. It's a NIGHTMARE. This is what I'm paying tuition for?! On top of that just inserting answers takes up hours upon hours of valuable study time. Drawing carbon chains on some online program... Yeah right.

I understand that professors want to do their teaching and don't really care at all about teaching us their subjects but since I'm the reason you have a job you can show me some appreciation.

1. Why do teachers assign online homework?

Teachers assign online homework for a variety of reasons. One of the main reasons is convenience. With online homework, teachers can easily distribute and collect assignments without the need for physical copies. Additionally, online homework allows teachers to track students' progress and provide immediate feedback.

2. Is online homework a more effective way of learning?

There is no definitive answer to this question as it depends on the specific assignment and the individual student. However, research suggests that a combination of traditional homework and online homework can be more effective than just one method alone. Online homework allows for more interactive and engaging activities, but it should not completely replace traditional homework.

3. Do students perform better on online homework?

Again, this can vary depending on the student and the assignment. Some students may find online homework more enjoyable and therefore perform better, while others may struggle with the technology or prefer traditional methods. Ultimately, it is up to the teacher to monitor and assess each student's performance to determine the effectiveness of online homework.

4. How do teachers ensure academic integrity with online homework?

Academic integrity is a top concern for teachers when it comes to online homework. To address this, teachers can use plagiarism detection software and set strict guidelines for citing sources and completing the assignment independently. Additionally, teachers can monitor students' progress and provide personalized feedback to ensure they are understanding and completing the work on their own.

5. Are there any disadvantages to online homework?

As with any method of learning, there can be disadvantages to online homework. One potential issue is access to technology and reliable internet, which may hinder some students' ability to complete the assignments. Additionally, online homework may not be suitable for all subjects or learning styles. It is important for teachers to consider these potential drawbacks and make accommodations as needed for their students.