1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Teaching aids

1. Aug 19, 2008 #1

jal

“Teaching aids”

The moderators and Gurus might want some recent “teaching aids”.
    Perhaps you will want to put some of these into a "sticky"
    The CERN site is producing some very good “teaching aids”. If you can, look at the ppt presentation, since it has animations.
    There are 3 pdf files at Summer Student Lecture Programme Course, 2008
    http://indico.cern.ch/categoryDisplay.py?categId=345
    From Heavy-Ion Collisions to Quark Matter (1/3)
    by Lourenco, C (CERN)

that gives an explanation of what they are doing to probe QCD.
    =====
    jal

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2008 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: “Teaching aids”

yeah I attended those lectures, boring lecturer :-)

4. Aug 19, 2008 #3

jal

I guess that this is a good forum for this thread.
    Now ... now ... malawi_glenn don't be so harsh on how your tax dollars are being spent. :smile:
    I found that particular "teaching aid" to be up-to-date and well presented for interested students.
    Did you get any "vibs" as to when in 2009 that they will be able to get any new data?
    I hope that they will not hit any long "tuning up glitches"
    jal

5. Aug 20, 2008 #4

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think it is mentioned in the lectures, I think all of the lectures from CERN summer school -08 was filmed, so you can listen to the lecturer meanwhile you are watching the slides.

If I can recommend some REALLY good lectures to you, check out G.Ross and A.Pitch's lectures about QFT and Standard model, awesome!

http://indico.cern.ch/tools/SSLPdisplay.py?stdate=2008-06-30&nbweeks=7

6. Aug 20, 2008 #5

jal

Hi malawi_glenn,
    There is no doubt that they are good "teaching aids" and I can see why some students would need the exposure to those presentations before they make their carreer choice.
    It would require 4 years of commitment, for AN AVERAGE STUDENT, to be able to manipulate and understand the formulas.
    I used slide 14, 15, 16, The Standard Model (8/8) by Pich, A (IFIC, University of Valencia)
    as a reference for my latest blog entry.
    jal

7. Aug 21, 2008 #6

Easy for you to say that, when it's a European project, and I have to pay for these guys full time. :grumpy:

I want my taxes to go towards interesting lectures, give him hell malawi_glenn.

8. Aug 21, 2008 #7

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

LOL well the lectures was interesting but the lecturer was a quite boring person hehe.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?