Teaching my boys practical electromagnetism

In summary, the author is looking for ways to teach his boys electromechanics without using too much beyond grammar school arithmetic and geometry. He has found some good resources, but they are from an era where some of the materials and processes used are no longer common. He recommends using the old homebrew designs and bringing them up to date with the materials and processes that are available today. He also recommends making the boys active participants in the design process.
tech-artist
I need help designing some build-from-scratch DC motors. I'm looking to build really robust motors that I can be be sure will demonstrate clearly the principles involved, but that can be modified by my boys and that they can really *play* with and use to run simple toys. I've already shown them the Beakman's motor design that permeates the web. Frankly, it didn't hold their attention long. Sure, they thought it was nifty, but they rightly believed it to be absolutely useless beyond "Gosh, it spins!" It's too delicate, has erratic commutation, and is not self-starting since it has just a two-pole rotor.

A little background: my boys are nine and eleven, and I want to teach them the basics of EM without using much beyond grammar school arithmetic and geometry and *heaps* of demonstrations. I figured I'd start with "simple" things like electromagnets, motors, telegraphs, telephones, etc. Old school stuff.

Both boys are quite bright (the younger one scarily so; I don't know if he's genius range IQ for sure, yet, but I do know he's smarter than either my wife or myself ... let's just say he gets into *interesting* trouble).

At one time I homeschooled both boys, but they just flat wore me out, so now they are in a regular school. I'm a recovering engineer (bachelor in robotics engineering in 1987), and now I'm a sculptor (long story), so I'm comfortable teaching them tech and maths as well as practical how-to-build-it stuff. The problem I'm facing is building good demo equipment.

Since then I've sought out the books from my boyhood in the '60s and '70s, books like "A Boy and a Motor" by Raymond F. Yates and "Electrical Things Boys Like to Make" by Sherman Cook. Yates wasn't as good as I remembered, but Cook was very good. Still, Cook had no self-starters and no PM designs.

Then I dove into the various books available from Lindsay Publishing, such as Morgan's "The Boy Electrician", Hasluck's "Dynamos & Electric Motors", and I've also managed to find two books from the Percival Marshall "Model Engineer" series, "Small Electric Motor Construction" and "Small Dynamos & Motors."

These books come closer, being from an era where it wasn't an unusual idea to build your own motor to do useful work. That strength is also their weakness, however. Lots of materials and processes described in them were common a hundred years ago are not so common now, things like bakelite rods, silk- and cotton-covered wire, and neighbourhood electrical supply shops willing to sell small quantities of multi-pole rotor laminations suitable for making small motors.

My question, then, is where should I start with producing homebrew designs suitable for *this* century? Where can I even get silicon steel to make our rotor laminations? Or would cannabalizing Mabuchi motors be my only realistic bet?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My recommendation is to use the wonderful old homebrew designs and bring them up to date with whatever "modern" versions of the materials exist today. Teach your boys by making them active participants in the updated design. For example, "The old design called for cotton-covered wire which we we can no longer get. What is the function of this item, what is a reasonable substitute and why do you think so?" Make them feel that they own the project. And yes, if you have to cannibalize something, by all means do so. It will teach your boys resourcefulness.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is the study of the relationship between electricity and magnetism. It is a fundamental force of nature that explains how electrically charged particles interact with each other and with magnetic fields.

2. How can I teach my boys about electromagnetism?

There are many ways to teach about electromagnetism, but some practical methods include conducting hands-on experiments, using interactive demonstrations or simulations, and incorporating real-life examples and applications.

3. What are some practical applications of electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism has numerous practical applications, such as powering electric motors, generating electricity in power plants, transmitting information through radio waves, and creating medical imaging devices like MRI machines.

4. What are some common misconceptions about electromagnetism?

One common misconception is that magnets have only two poles (north and south), when in reality they have multiple poles. Another misconception is that electricity and magnetism are separate forces, when in fact they are closely related and form the foundation of electromagnetism.

5. How can I make learning about electromagnetism fun for my boys?

To make learning about electromagnetism more engaging and enjoyable, you can incorporate hands-on activities, interactive games, and real-life examples. You can also encourage your boys to ask questions, make predictions, and come up with their own experiments to explore the concepts of electromagnetism.