Telegraph Equation Verification

• MHB
  • Thread starter cbarker1
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing an electrical cable that is not well insulated and its leakage along its length. The equations for voltage and current at a point on the cable are given, and it is shown that they satisfy a second order equation. A potential error in the given equation is addressed and the steps to show that both voltage and current satisfy the second order equation are outlined.
cbarker1
Gold Member
MHB
Dear Everyone,

I am confused about how to start with the following problem:

Consider an electrical cable running along the x-axis that is not well insulated from the ground, so that leakage occurs along its entire length. Let V(x,t) and I(x,t) denote the voltage and current at point x in the wire at time t. These functions are related to each other by the system

${V}_{x}=-L{I}_{t}-RI$ and ${I}_{x}=-C{V}_{t}-GV$ where L is the inductance, R is the resistance, C is the capacitance, and G is the leakage to ground. Show that V and I each satisfy:

${u}_{xx}=LC{u}_{tt}+(RC+L){u}_{t}+RGu$.

Thanks,
Cbarker1

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Cbarker1,

There appears to be an error in the second order equation; it should be $$u_{xx}= LCu_{tt}+(RC+GL)u_{t}+RGu.$$ From here you want to work with the two given equations for $V_{x}$ and $I_{x}$ to see if you can get them to satisfy $$V_{xx} = LCV_{tt}+(RC+GL)V_{t}+RGV$$ and $$I_{xx} = LCI_{tt}+(RC+GL)I_{t}+RGI,$$ respectively. For example, you could start by using the $V_{x}$ equation to compute $V_{xx}$ obtaining $$V_{xx} = -LI_{tx}-RI_{x} = -LI_{tx}+RCV_{t}+RGV,$$ where the second equality comes from using the equation for $I_{x}$. You can see that this is a promising start because the terms $RCV_{t}$ and $RGV$ are already present, which is good because they should be there according to the formula we are trying to establish. See if you can fill in the rest of the details for $V_{xx}$, then try moving on to $I_{xx}.$

1. What is the Telegraph Equation Verification?

The Telegraph Equation Verification is a mathematical tool used to verify the accuracy of telegraph equations, which are used to model the propagation of signals in electrical transmission lines.

2. How does the Telegraph Equation Verification work?

The Telegraph Equation Verification works by comparing the results of a telegraph equation with known solutions or experimental data. If the results match, then the equation is considered verified and accurate.

3. Why is the Telegraph Equation Verification important?

The Telegraph Equation Verification is important because it ensures the accuracy of telegraph equations, which are used in many fields such as electrical engineering, telecommunications, and physics. Without verification, these equations may provide incorrect results and lead to faulty designs or experiments.

4. What are the limitations of the Telegraph Equation Verification?

One limitation of the Telegraph Equation Verification is that it relies on the availability of known solutions or experimental data for comparison. If these are not available, then the verification process may be difficult or impossible.

Another limitation is that the Telegraph Equation Verification assumes ideal conditions, and may not account for real-world factors such as imperfections in the transmission line or external interference.

5. Can the Telegraph Equation Verification be applied to other types of equations?

Yes, the Telegraph Equation Verification method can be applied to other types of equations, as long as there are known solutions or experimental data for comparison. However, the method may need to be adapted depending on the specific equation and its variables.