Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Telephone loading coils

1. Apr 10, 2008 #1
    how do they improve high-frequency transmission (and not low-frequency?) ?

I'm a biologist...

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2008 #2
    I have a Robert Chipman book on transmission lines that mentioned this issue. As I recall, the loading coils did not improve high frequency transmission, but rather, just the opposite. The loading coils were removed for that reason.

I'll check my reference when I get home tonight, but I seem to remember that the reason for adding the loading coils was to lower distortion. Sir Oliver Heaviside determined in the 19th century that distortionles transmission takes place when R/L = G/C, where R, L, G, & C are the transmission line series resistance, inductance, shunt conductance, & capacitance per unit length resp.

The loading coils make it easy to optimize the ratio to get low distortion. They were added around 1925. But they acted as a low pass filter, attenuating hf response. They were removed around 1940. From memory, that is what I recall. At home I'll check the reference material and post a correction if needed. BR.

4. Apr 18, 2008 #3

Staff: Mentor

What's a telephone loading coil?
  5. Apr 21, 2008 #4
    thanks cabraham.

berkeman, it beats me - this is why I asked :S
  6. Apr 21, 2008 #5

Used to improve the transmission line for speech.

I wonder if they were those little bobbin things I used to see in telephone lines in my dim & distant youth... I always wondered what they were for...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?