1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Telephone loading coils

1. Apr 10, 2008 #1
    how do they improve high-frequency transmission (and not low-frequency?) ?

I'm a biologist...

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2008 #2
    I have a Robert Chipman book on transmission lines that mentioned this issue. As I recall, the loading coils did not improve high frequency transmission, but rather, just the opposite. The loading coils were removed for that reason.

I'll check my reference when I get home tonight, but I seem to remember that the reason for adding the loading coils was to lower distortion. Sir Oliver Heaviside determined in the 19th century that distortionles transmission takes place when R/L = G/C, where R, L, G, & C are the transmission line series resistance, inductance, shunt conductance, & capacitance per unit length resp.

The loading coils make it easy to optimize the ratio to get low distortion. They were added around 1925. But they acted as a low pass filter, attenuating hf response. They were removed around 1940. From memory, that is what I recall. At home I'll check the reference material and post a correction if needed. BR.

Claude

4. Apr 18, 2008 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What's a telephone loading coil?

5. Apr 21, 2008 #4
    thanks cabraham.

berkeman, it beats me - this is why I asked :S

6. Apr 21, 2008 #5
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loading_coil

Used to improve the transmission line for speech.

Apparently.

I wonder if they were those little bobbin things I used to see in telephone lines in my dim & distant youth... I always wondered what they were for...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?