Seagull Mass from Tension on Telephone Wire

In summary, the seagull is on a telephone wire that sags by 43 cm. The tension in the wire is 50 N and the poles are 15 m apart. Using Newton's first law and a free body diagram, the mass of the seagull can be calculated by solving for its weight. The tension in the wire pulls on both sides of the seagull at an angle, while the seagull's weight acts downwards.
ova5676

Homework Statement

A seagull lands on a telephone wire midway between two poles 15 m apart. The wire (assume weightless) sags by 43 cm. If the tension in the wire is 50 N what is the mass of the seagull?

Homework Equations

Ftotal = mass x acceleration
Ftotal = F1 + F2, etc.
Fg = mass x gravity

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not even know where to start. The seagull is on a wire but I'm not sure where the force of tension lies. Is it directed to both the left and the right of the seagull? I know that Fg and the normal force cancel out I think. And what role do the distances here play? Can anyone lend me a hand?

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone there?

The wire and bird are in equilibrium, so Newton 1 applies. Draw a sketch. Yes, the tension acts in the rope and pulls on it both left and right and above the horizontal at an angle you can find from trig and at the given tension on both sides. The gull's weight acts down. Draw a free body digram of the bird, use Newton 1, and solve for the weight and then solve for the mass.

FAQ: Seagull Mass from Tension on Telephone Wire

1. What is "Seagull Mass from Tension on Telephone Wire"?

"Seagull Mass from Tension on Telephone Wire" is a phenomenon that occurs when seagulls perch on telephone wires and cause the wires to sag due to their weight and movement.

2. Why do seagulls perch on telephone wires?

Seagulls perch on telephone wires as a way to rest and survey their surroundings. They may also use the wires as a vantage point for hunting or to avoid predators on the ground.

3. How does the tension on the telephone wire affect the seagulls?

The tension on the telephone wire can affect the seagulls in several ways. The sagging of the wire can make it difficult for the birds to maintain their balance, and too much tension can cause the wire to break, potentially injuring or killing the seagulls.

4. Is "Seagull Mass from Tension on Telephone Wire" harmful to the seagulls or the telephone wires?

While "Seagull Mass from Tension on Telephone Wire" may seem like a harmless and even comical occurrence, it can actually be harmful to both the seagulls and the telephone wires. The weight of the seagulls can cause the wires to sag and potentially break, and the birds themselves could be injured if the wire were to break while they are perched on it.

5. How can this phenomenon be prevented?

There is no surefire way to prevent seagulls from perching on telephone wires, but some methods that have been used include installing bird deterrents, such as spikes or wires, on the telephone wires, or using loud noises or other deterrents to scare the birds away. It is also important for telephone companies to regularly inspect and maintain their wires to prevent them from becoming too tense and breaking under the weight of the seagulls.

Back