Partial Sum Formula of Telescoping Series: 1/2*(1+1/2-1/(n+1)-1/(n+2))

In summary: So you get$$1 - \frac 1 6 - \frac 1 7 + \frac 1 {n-1} - \frac 1 n + \frac 1 {n+1} - \frac 1 {n+2}$$And your professor has already shown you that the first three terms are ##1+1/2-1/3=5/6##. Now it is a matter of combining the fractions in the remaining terms.
chris4642

Homework Statement

Find the formula of the partial sum of the series Ʃ1/[k(k+2)] k from 1 to infinity

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Using partial fractions i rewrite the series as 1/2*Ʃ[1/k] - [1/(k+2)]

Then I start writing out the series from k=1 to 5.
1/2*[(1-1/3)+(1/2-1/4)+(1/3-1/5)+(1/4-1/6)+(1/5-1/7)+...+(1/n-1/(n+2))]

Everything cancels except for 1-1/6-1/7+(1/n-1/(n+2))

I think that Sn=1/2*(1+1/2-1/(n+2)-1/(n+2))

My professor in class solved it as 1/2*(1+1/2-1/(n+1)-1/(n+2))

I don't understand where the 1/n+1 term comes from. Is he right or am I, and why?

Physics news on Phys.org
chris4642 said:

Homework Statement

Find the formula of the partial sum of the series Ʃ1/[k(k+2)] k from 1 to infinity

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Using partial fractions i rewrite the series as 1/2*Ʃ[1/k] - [1/(k+2)]

Then I start writing out the series from k=1 to 5.
1/2*[(1-1/3)+(1/2-1/4)+(1/3-1/5)+(1/4-1/6)+(1/5-1/7)+...+(1/n-1/(n+2))]

Apparently that is ##\frac 1 n - \frac 1 {n+2}##. A little spacing would be good.

Everything cancels except for 1-1/6-1/7+(1/n-1/(n+2))

I think that Sn=1/2*(1+1/2-1/(n+2)-1/(n+2))

My professor in class solved it as 1/2*(1+1/2-1/(n+1)-1/(n+2))

I don't understand where the 1/n+1 term comes from. Is he right or am I, and why?

Your professor is correct. The last few terms are$$
...(\frac 1 {n-3}-\frac 1 {n-1})+(\frac 1 {n-2}-\frac 1 n ) + (\frac 1 {n-1} - \frac 1 {n+1}) +(\frac 1 n -\frac 1 {n+2})$$Only the second term of each of the last two parentheses remains.

Likes 1 person

FAQ: Partial Sum Formula of Telescoping Series: 1/2*(1+1/2-1/(n+1)-1/(n+2))

1. What is the Partial Sum Formula of a Telescoping Series?

The Partial Sum Formula of a Telescoping Series is a mathematical formula used to find the sum of a specific type of series, known as a telescoping series. It is represented as 1/2*(1+1/2-1/(n+1)-1/(n+2)), where n represents the number of terms in the series.

2. How is the Partial Sum Formula derived?

The Partial Sum Formula is derived by simplifying the general term of a telescoping series, which is a series with terms that eventually cancel each other out. By simplifying the general term, we can find a pattern that allows us to calculate the sum of the series.

3. What are the applications of the Partial Sum Formula?

The Partial Sum Formula is commonly used in mathematics and physics to find the sum of specific series. It is also used in computing and engineering to analyze data and solve problems involving series.

4. Can the Partial Sum Formula be used for any telescoping series?

No, the Partial Sum Formula can only be used for telescoping series where the terms eventually cancel each other out. It cannot be used for other types of series, such as geometric or arithmetic series.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Partial Sum Formula?

Yes, the Partial Sum Formula can only be used for series with a finite number of terms. It cannot be used for infinite series. Additionally, it may not work for series with complex or non-repeating patterns.

Back