Temperature and Harmonic Functions

In summary, the author is looking for a harmonic function to model the temperature of a semi-circular plate with boundary temperatures of T=0 along the semi-circle, T=0 along (-1,0), and T=1 along (0,1). They have tried a few examples but have not found a solution. They are seeking a hint to guide them in the right direction. The text they are using states that temperature functions are harmonic, but the author is unsure how this applies to the problem. Another user suggests using conformal transformations to simplify the problem.
jgens
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find the temperature of the semi-circular plate of radius 1 with the following boundary temperatures: T=0 along the semi-circle, T=0 along (-1,0), and T=1 along (0,1).

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, the author of the text has already noted that temperature functions are harmonic, so I'm looking for a harmonic function here. I've already tried a number of stock examples (like taking the real and imaginary parts of log(z)), but I can't seem to get anything to work. Can someone give me a hint to get me working in the right direction here? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
This puzzles me as when dealing with temperature you use the diffusion equations which is parabolic, and looks like:
[tex]
\frac{\partial T}{\partial t}=\frac{1}{\alpha}\frac{\partial^{2}T}{\partial x^{2}}
[/tex]
These don't define harmonic functions in general. What equation is he using here?

The text we're using (Lang's Complex Analysis text) just says that temperature functions are harmonic. So, I'm guessing we're supposed to find a harmonic equation modeling the temperature of the plate, but I can't think of any trivial examples that make it work out. It's not a physics text, so I wouldn't be surprised if it grossly simplified the physics behind temperature.

Conformal transformations in the answer. Transform a semi-circle into a region where you know you can solve the equation and then it should be easy from there.

1. What is temperature and how is it related to harmonic functions?

Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance. Harmonic functions are mathematical functions that describe the behavior of oscillating systems, such as temperature fluctuations in a substance.

2. How do harmonic functions affect temperature in a substance?

Harmonic functions can affect temperature in a substance by describing the way it oscillates or fluctuates. For example, if a substance is heated, the temperature will rise and fall in a predictable pattern described by a harmonic function.

3. Can temperature be described using harmonic functions?

Yes, temperature can be described using harmonic functions. In fact, many physical systems, such as vibrating strings or pendulums, can be modeled using harmonic functions to predict changes in temperature over time.

4. What is the relationship between temperature and equilibrium in a system?

Temperature and equilibrium are closely related in a system. When a system reaches equilibrium, the temperature becomes constant and stops changing. This can be described using harmonic functions as the system's energy is balanced and no longer fluctuating.

5. How do scientists use temperature and harmonic functions in their research?

Scientists use temperature and harmonic functions in a variety of ways in their research. For example, they can use harmonic functions to model the temperature changes in a chemical reaction or to study the vibrations of molecules in a substance. They can also use temperature data to test and validate mathematical models of harmonic systems.