Temperature and Pressure Calculation

In summary: Just checked and you end up with P2 being equal to p1. Am i missing something?No, you are correct. If there is no change in temperature then the final pressure is equal to the original pressure.No, you are correct. If there is no change in temperature then the final pressure is equal to the original pressure.
Phil31
Hi there,

New to the forum.

I decided to come here as I am currently working on a formula that will give me the resulting pressure as a result of an increase in temperature within fixed volume.

I have used Charles Law and Boyles law and combined them in a way that gives me this increase.

Firstly, I was wondering if this is anything new, I couldn't find anything exact when researching it so used Charles Law and Boyles law to come up with it

Secondly, Is this useful? I know it is for me but in a general physics application?

So far it has held up to tests (that have not been all that scientific but as accurate as possible given my limited resource).

The formula is:

Where x is temperature increase in Celcius

P2 = P1 - (P1 x V1 x T1)/(x+T1)xV1

P is in Pascals
V in any metric unit
T is in kelvin

A bit about me, I have a Degree in Marketing and Economics but work in the Gas Industry.

Any feed back would be appreciated

Cheers

Science news on Phys.org
Likes Phil31
Phil31 said:
Hi there,

New to the forum.

I decided to come here as I am currently working on a formula that will give me the resulting pressure as a result of an increase in temperature within fixed volume.

I have used Charles Law and Boyles law and combined them in a way that gives me this increase.

Firstly, I was wondering if this is anything new, I couldn't find anything exact when researching it so used Charles Law and Boyles law to come up with it

Secondly, Is this useful? I know it is for me but in a general physics application?

So far it has held up to tests (that have not been all that scientific but as accurate as possible given my limited resource).

The formula is:

Where x is temperature increase in Celcius

P2 = P1 - (P1 x V1 x T1)/(x+T1)xV1

P is in Pascals
V in any metric unit
T is in kelvin

A bit about me, I have a Degree in Marketing and Economics but work in the Gas Industry.

Any feed back would be appreciated

Cheers
What is P2 in your formula?

nasu said:
What is P2 in your formula?

P2 is the the New Pressure as a result of the temperature change.

Then you have a problem. It seems that if x=0 (so no change in temperature) the final pressure is zero.

nasu said:
Then you have a problem. It seems that if x=0 (so no change in temperature) the final pressure is zero.

That would be correct as no change in temperature will mean no change in pressure as there is no expansion (or contraction) of the gas. The formula calculates the effect of temp on pressure in a vessel.

Phil31 said:
That would be correct as no change in temperature will mean no change in pressure as there is no expansion (or contraction) of the gas. The formula calculates the effect of temp on pressure in a vessel.
My mistake i see wgat you are saying now will check that

nasu said:

Just checked and you end up with P2 being equal to p1. Am i missing something?

What is the formula for converting between Celsius and Fahrenheit?

The formula for converting temperature from Celsius to Fahrenheit is: F = (C * 9/5) + 32 where F is the temperature in Fahrenheit and C is the temperature in Celsius.

How do changes in temperature affect pressure?

According to Charles' Law, as the temperature of a gas increases, its volume also increases and therefore its pressure increases. Conversely, as the temperature decreases, the volume and pressure of the gas also decrease.

What is the ideal gas law and how is it used in temperature and pressure calculations?

The ideal gas law is expressed as PV = nRT where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the ideal gas constant, and T is temperature. This equation is used to calculate the pressure, volume, and temperature of an ideal gas under different conditions.

How does pressure affect the boiling point of a liquid?

Pressure has a direct effect on the boiling point of a liquid. As pressure increases, the boiling point of a liquid also increases. This is because higher pressure makes it more difficult for molecules to escape the liquid and enter the gas phase, requiring a higher temperature to overcome the pressure.

What is the difference between absolute and gauge pressure?

Absolute pressure is the total pressure exerted by a fluid, including atmospheric pressure. Gauge pressure is the difference between the absolute pressure and atmospheric pressure. Gauge pressure is often used in pressure measurement devices, while absolute pressure is used in thermodynamic calculations.