Temperature change brought about by radiation

In summary: I'll send more detail about my approaches when I have the opportunity.Please send your entire attempt. Then we can help
Sai Maurice
Homework Statement
A room 10mX10mX5m room is lighted by four 100 W lightbulbs. Assuming 73% of the energy is converted to heat, how much warmer will they room be in 6.9 hr. The room is insulated
Relevant Equations
dQ/dt=σAT⁴ radiation
I tried modeling the problem quite a few ways. one was to say that the difference between the heat emitted by the room and the heat emitted by the bulbs would equal the heat absorbed by the room, and that could allow us to calculate temperature. This did not work. I'd appreciate your help

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Sai,

Seems to me you didn't render the full problem statement -- I miss some things like cp, ##\rho## for the air (and/or the walls). Were they given ?
Sai Maurice said:
quite a few ways. one was to say
No, you did not 'say', you wrote something down and worked it out.

How did you calculate ? We can't pick up what you did right/wrong by telepathy. Post your work

Sai Maurice said:
This did not work
How do you know ? Or do you already have the book answer and want PF to guess what it is ?

(for example, about four degrees...)

Are you assuming that the light bulbs heat up the walls and ceiling of the room or just the air in the room? If they heat up the walls and ceiling, are the outsides of the these insulated? If not, then the insides of the walls must be considered insulated, so that no energy crosses. Where does the other 27% of the energy go?

Out the window ? :wink:

BvU said:
Hello Sai,

Seems to me you didn't render the full problem statement -- I miss some things like cp, ##\rho## for the air (and/or the walls). Were they given ?
No, you did not 'say', you wrote something down and worked it out.

How did you calculate ? We can't pick up what you did right/wrong by telepathy. Post your work

How do you know ? Or do you already have the book answer and want PF to guess what it is ?

(for example, about four degrees...)

I assure you, that was all the info given. I can send you a picture if you'd like. The Reason it's hard to be specific is that this was a returned question, where the professor marked it as wrong without explanation, expecting us to return have a second attempt and get it right. The only problem is, I have no idea how to approach this problem with the info given. I set up the problem as the statement I laid out using the equation marked in the OP. I'll send more detail about my approaches when I have the opportunity.

Chestermiller said:
Are you assuming that the light bulbs heat up the walls and ceiling of the room or just the air in the room? If they heat up the walls and ceiling, are the outsides of the these insulated? If not, then the insides of the walls must be considered insulated, so that no energy crosses. Where does the other 27% of the energy go?

The room is insulated

@Sai Maurice : further demo the problem statement needs clarification: are the lamps inside this huge room or outside ?

Correct my 'guess' for the answer to around 12 degrees (I read 15 m high instead of 5 :rolleyes: )

Sai Maurice said:
that was all the info given. I can send you a picture if you'd like
So the problem statement included a picture ?
And you
Sai Maurice said:
I laid out using the equation marked in the OP
used what for T ?

Chestermiller said:

I believe the intent of the problem is to consider only radiative losses after a new equilibrium is reached so the heat capacities don't matter. But I do wonder about the 27%... I guess those are conductive/convective losses. Also for an exact solution one needs the initial temperature...

hutchphd said:
But I do wonder about the 27%

So do I -- mayby the prof wants to confuse his students a bit by throwing this in ...

Sai Maurice said:
I'll send more detail about my approaches when I have the opportunity.
Please send your entire attempt. Then we can help

hutchphd said:
I believe the intent of the problem is to consider only radiative losses after a new equilibrium is reached so the heat capacities don't matter. But I do wonder about the 27%... I guess those are conductive/convective losses. Also for an exact solution one needs the initial temperature...
I don't think so. The intent seemed to me to be to use the first law of thermodynamics to determine the internal energy rise (and temperature rise) of the air, given the heat input from the bulbs.

I feel a little like the blind men with the elephant here! You may be correct.

BvU said:
So the problem statement included a picture ?
And you
used what for T ?

dQ/dt=σAT⁴ I used this for the T, assuming the room was initially at room temperature. The result was that the walls of the room were radiating more heat to the lightbulbs than the other way around by a large factor.

So explicitly how did you get "12 degrees" ?? SHOW YOUR WORK PLEASE

Extra Info
I was just told we can assume the room has a specific heat capacity of 1000 J/kg, and the air has a density of 1.3 g/L. With this info, i can now solve the problem, thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Sai Maurice said:
I was just told we can assume
tooth fairy ?

No T^4 then, just ##Q = m c_p \Delta T##, leading to ##approx## 12 degrees ...

BvU said:
tooth fairy ?

No T^4 then, just ##Q = m c_p \Delta T##, leading to ##approx## 12 degrees ...
It should be ##C_v##, not Cp since the volume is constant. Anyway, I get about 17 C.

Likes hutchphd
Chestermiller said:
since the volume is constant
Stuffy atmosphere ... :smile:

Sai Maurice said:
dQ/dt=σAT⁴ I used this for the T, assuming the room was initially at room temperature. The result was that the walls of the room were radiating more heat to the lightbulbs than the other way around by a large factor.
I don’t see how that equation is relevant. Heat energy radiated by the walls goes back to the walls. All you care about is the total energy consumed by the bulbs in the given time, less that 27% that presumably went out the window as light. You need to assume, though, that the walls have only a small thermal capacity and nearly all the energy gets transferred to the air by conduction.

It is unclear to me that Cv is appropriate. A room so well sealed is unrealistic.

haruspex said:
I don’t see how that equation is relevant. Heat energy radiated by the walls goes back to the walls. All you care about is the total energy consumed by the bulbs in the given time, less that 27% that presumably went out the window as light. You need to assume, though, that the walls have only a small thermal capacity and nearly all the energy gets transferred to the air by conduction.

It is unclear to me that Cv is appropriate. A room so well sealed is unrealistic.
If the room is not well sealed, the mass of gas in the room decreases. So, instead, that needs to be taken into account. As the escaping air leaves, there is less remaining air in the room receiving the same intensity of heat. The only reasonable assumption for this problem, in my judgment, is to assume constant gas volume and mass in the room.

Chestermiller said:
The only reasonable assumption for this problem, in my judgment, is to assume constant gas volume and mass in the room.
If one is going for this level of detail, a more reasonable assumption is that the room leaks and that the gas leaking out carries some thermal energy with it despite the insulation.

jbriggs444 said:
If one is going for this level of detail, a more reasonable assumption is that the room leaks and that the gas leaking out carries some thermal energy with it despite the insulation.
That seems possible, but involves use of the open system version of the first law of thermodynamics which seems beyond the scope of the intent of this question.

Let's try to help the OP -- the quality of the exercise doesn't merit detailing...

Likes jbriggs444

1. What is radiation and how does it affect temperature change?

Radiation is the emission of energy in the form of electromagnetic waves or particles. When radiation is absorbed by an object, it causes its temperature to increase, leading to a change in temperature.

2. How does the sun contribute to temperature change through radiation?

The sun is the primary source of radiation that reaches the Earth's surface. It emits high-energy radiation, such as ultraviolet and visible light, which is absorbed by the Earth's atmosphere and surface. This absorption leads to an increase in temperature, known as the greenhouse effect.

3. Can human activities, such as burning fossil fuels, cause temperature change through radiation?

Yes, human activities can contribute to temperature change through radiation. Burning fossil fuels releases greenhouse gases, such as carbon dioxide, which trap heat in the Earth's atmosphere and cause a warming effect similar to the sun's radiation.

4. How does temperature change due to radiation impact the environment?

Temperature change brought about by radiation can lead to a variety of environmental impacts. This includes rising sea levels due to melting glaciers, changes in weather patterns, and the extinction of certain species due to changing habitats.

5. What is the relationship between temperature change and climate change?

Temperature change and climate change are closely related. Climate change refers to long-term changes in temperature, precipitation, and other weather patterns. Temperature change, caused by various factors including radiation, is one of the key indicators of climate change.