Temperature Coefficient of Resistance of Two Wires in Series

In summary, the problem involves finding the resistance temperature coefficient of wire B, which is connected in series with wire A. The resistance temperature coefficient of A is given, along with the fact that the resistance of B is 3.5 times that of A. By setting up a general equation and using the given values, the resistance temperature coefficient of B can be solved for. However, there is some confusion about the given solution and a different method is proposed.
chap126

Homework Statement

Two wires A and B are connected in series at 0oC and resistance of B is 3.5 times that of A. The resistance temperature coefficient of A is 0.04% and that of the combination is 0.1%. Find the resistance temperature coefficient of B.

Homework Equations

Rt=R0(1+α0t)
αt0/1+α0t

The Attempt at a Solution

This is an example problem form A Textbook of Electrical Technology Vol. I. So the solution comes from that book:
It is seen that RB/RA = 3.5 = 0.003/(0.001-α) --> α = 0.000143oC-1

My problem is that this relationship is not clear to me. From the looks of the given solution it is saying that:
RB/RAAABABB and then solving for αB. I'm confused if this is the correct relationship and if so where it came from? How do you relate them without at least one other measurement at some other temperature?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, I think I figured it out. The given solution was way too simplified, and I'm still not sure how the author worked it out, but here's what I got:

From the given equation we know

Rt=R0(1+α0t) --> R1,A=R0,A(1+α0,A*1)

and because A and B are in series we also know that

-->R1,A+R1,B=(R0,A+R0,B)(1+α0,AB)

since the problem tells us that R0,B = 3.5R0,A, we can solve for R1,B in terms of R0,A

R1,B=(R0,A+3.5R0,A)(1+α0,AB)-R0,A(1+α0,A)

we also know that R1,B=R0,B(1+α0,B)= 3.5R0,A(1+α0,B)

Then set the two equations equal and solve for α0,B as the problem asks

3.5R0,A(1+α0,B) = (R0,A+3.5R0,A)(1+α0,AB)-R0,A(1+α0,A)

α0,B=((1+3.5)(1+α0,AB)-(1+α0,A)-3.5)/3.5
α0,B= 1.42x10-4

If anyone can explain how the author solved it, I'd be happy to see it. His way seemed much faster.

The given answer can't be right. αB, the coefficient of the higher resistor, must be greater than the coefficient of the entire resistance α since αA, the coefficient of the smaller resistor is less than α. But your teacher "sees" α = 0.000143 oC-1 which is < 0.001 = α. In fact, he/she has αB < αA! :rolleyes:

Do it like this: assume R = T = 1 without loss of generality.
Then 1(1+αA) + 3.5(1+αB) = 4.5(1+α).

The given answer can't be right. αB, the coefficient of the higher resistor, must be greater than the coefficient of the entire resistance α since αA, the coefficient of the smaller resistor is less than α. But your teacher "sees" α = 0.000143 oC-1 which is < 0.001 = α. In fact, he/she has αB < αA!

Do it like this: assume R = T = 1 without loss of generality.
Then 1(1+αA) + 3.5(1+αB) = 4.5(1+α).

Now I'm really confused. The answer I got matches the one in the book, but this way gives a different answer. Where did I go wrong? Any hints?

Last edited:
chap126 said:
Now I'm really confused. The answer I got matches the one in the book, but this way gives a different answer. Where did I go wrong? Any hints?

Problem is, it's often not easy to work through posters' math when a lot of it is posted.

I think my equation is straight-forward enough that it should be understandable. It's just

R(1+αAT) + 3.5R(1+αBT) = (R+3.5R)(1+αT)

with R = 1 ohm and T = 1 deg. C.

It should also be intuitively obvious that αB has to be > α since αA < α.

Hello, this type is problem has a general solution (quite latent tho).

@a×Ra/(Total resistance) + @b×Rb/(total resistance) = @ TOTAL.
NOW JUST SUBSTITUTE...

Attachments

• 2019-11-07 12.34.53.jpg
    2019-11-07 12.34.53.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 366

What is the temperature coefficient of resistance?

The temperature coefficient of resistance (TCR) is a measure of the change in resistance of a material with respect to changes in temperature. It is expressed as a percentage change in resistance per degree Celsius.

Why is the TCR important in two wires in series?

In a series circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of the individual resistances of each component. The TCR of each wire affects the overall resistance of the circuit, and therefore can impact the performance and accuracy of the circuit.

What is the formula for calculating TCR for two wires in series?

The formula for calculating the TCR of two wires in series is TCRtotal = (TCR1 + TCR2) / (1 + TCR1 * TCR2). This takes into account the individual TCR values of each wire and provides the overall TCR for the series circuit.

What factors can affect the TCR of a wire?

The TCR of a wire can be affected by the material it is made of, its length and cross-sectional area, and any impurities or defects in the wire. Additionally, the temperature range and the type of current (AC or DC) can also impact the TCR.

How does TCR affect the accuracy of a circuit?

If the TCR of a wire is not accounted for, it can result in a change in the overall resistance of the circuit with temperature changes. This can lead to errors in measurements and affect the accuracy of the circuit's performance. By understanding and accounting for the TCR, engineers can design more accurate and reliable circuits.