What is the Temperature Coefficient of Resistance in Sensors?

  • Thread starter Thread starter pointer_physic
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Sensor
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
pointer_physic
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Hi:

I'm researching for a arduino sensor that measures resistance of a material depending on the temperature. I have also not found the word that describes the characteristic when measuring resistance-depending on temperature.

Homework Equations



1) Is there any type of sensor that measures resistance when the temperature changes?

2) What is the correct term that describes the characteristic when measuring resistance depending on temperature?

The Attempt at a Solution



I have found a sensor that measures temperature depending on the resistance but not one that measures resistance depending on the temperature. For example there is a sensor called resistance thermometer that measures temperature depending on the resistance but not the other way around.

I'm looking for the term that describes the characteristic when measuring resistance dependent on temperature. For example ductility measures the ability of a material to deform under tensile load.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
pointer_physic said:

Homework Statement


Hi:

I'm researching for a arduino sensor that measures resistance of a material depending on the temperature. I have also not found the word that describes the characteristic when measuring resistance-depending on temperature.

Homework Equations



1) Is there any type of sensor that measures resistance when the temperature changes?

It's called an Ohmmeter. :-)
 
pointer_physic said:

Homework Statement


Hi:

I'm researching for a arduino sensor that measures resistance of a material depending on the temperature. I have also not found the word that describes the characteristic when measuring resistance-depending on temperature.

Homework Equations



1) Is there any type of sensor that measures resistance when the temperature changes?

2) What is the correct term that describes the characteristic when measuring resistance depending on temperature?

The Attempt at a Solution



I have found a sensor that measures temperature depending on the resistance but not one that measures resistance depending on the temperature. For example there is a sensor called resistance thermometer that measures temperature depending on the resistance but not the other way around.

I'm looking for the term that describes the characteristic when measuring resistance dependent on temperature. For example ductility measures the ability of a material to deform under tensile load.

Hi pointer_physic. Welcome to Physics Forums.

As rude man stated, the type of meter used is generally called an ohmmeter. There are different setups depending upon the nature of the resistance (or resistivity) being measured.

There is what is called The Temperature Coefficient of Resistance, typically denoted by the variable ##\alpha## (which is pretty generically used for temperature coefficients). You can look this up online with a search engine.