Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Temperature effect on magnetism.

1. May 29, 2007 #1
    Temperature effect on magnetism.

The curie point for mild steel is about 750deg C. Before this temp it is ferromagnetic and after that temp its paramagnetic i think. But my question is does the magnet permiabilty of the mild steel gradualy reduce as it gets hotter up to that temp?

If we say Mild steel permiability is 100% at 20deg C what percentage would it be at say 400deg 500deg 600deg.....

Is there a graph we can plot that show this? or is it 100% up to749Deg and then suddenly bang its not???

Hope you can help

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2007 #2
    I believe that the magnetic permissibility of steel (or any other compound) is constant.

Also, I do not believe that magnetic permeability has anything to do with magnetization temperature (ie your 750 deg C example). Neither curie's law, or the equations for curie's constant include permeability as a variable.

Magnetic permeability is a measure of how easy it is for magnetic fields to pass through materials. Some materials have high permeability, and can transmit magnetic fields quickly; and others have low permeability, transmitting incident fields slowly.

While steel's ferromagnetic and paramagnetic properties can be changed with temperature, I do not believe its permeability is.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?