Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Temperature field in the flowing gas (COMSOL)

1. May 29, 2012 #1
    hello guys

I want to simulate the temperature distribution in and out the tube with flowing gas. As a beginner of COMSOL, i just know how to construct a simple laminar flow model. But I have no ideal about how to add a heat souce and how to get the distribution of temperature.

wish somebody can help me, and give me some suggestion on the COMSOL.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2012 #2
    Use the heat transfer module to do generate the temperature profile of the tube. Specify a heat source (find the power density W/m^3). Then couple the fluids module with the heat transfer module. There is a plot to plot the temperature of the fluids (T2 if fluids is the second module). However, I am currently having trouble getting this to plot. I can get a velocity profile, but the temperature is not changing in the gas for some reason.

4. Jun 14, 2012 #3
    However, I am currently having trouble getting this to plot. I can get a velocity profile, but the temperature is not changing in the gas for some reason.[/QUOTE]

Probably because you have two dependent variables for temperature (T, T2). Temperature should be a single variable for a given domain. If you have temperature across separate domains then you can couple them together using the respective boundary conditions.

5. Jun 14, 2012 #4
    I have a solid that is heating a gas. The heat transfer module for the solid has convective cooling with the faces of the boundaries between the gas and solid selected, and the fluids module has convective cooling with the same selected boundaries. I thought if I put convective cooling in both modules there would be coupled physics of the solid and gas that would find the temperature of the fluid. I have no problem finding the temperature of the solid though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook