Temperature field in the flowing gas (COMSOL)

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of COMSOL to simulate the temperature distribution in a tube with flowing gas. The person is a beginner and has questions about adding a heat source and obtaining the temperature distribution. Suggestions are given to use the heat transfer module and couple it with the fluids module, but there may be difficulties in plotting the temperature of the gas. The issue may be due to having two dependent variables for temperature in different domains.
big_david
hello guys

I want to simulate the temperature distribution in and out the tube with flowing gas. As a beginner of COMSOL, i just know how to construct a simple laminar flow model. But I have no ideal about how to add a heat souce and how to get the distribution of temperature.

wish somebody can help me, and give me some suggestion on the COMSOL.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Use the heat transfer module to do generate the temperature profile of the tube. Specify a heat source (find the power density W/m^3). Then couple the fluids module with the heat transfer module. There is a plot to plot the temperature of the fluids (T2 if fluids is the second module). However, I am currently having trouble getting this to plot. I can get a velocity profile, but the temperature is not changing in the gas for some reason.

However, I am currently having trouble getting this to plot. I can get a velocity profile, but the temperature is not changing in the gas for some reason.[/QUOTE]

Probably because you have two dependent variables for temperature (T, T2). Temperature should be a single variable for a given domain. If you have temperature across separate domains then you can couple them together using the respective boundary conditions.

I have a solid that is heating a gas. The heat transfer module for the solid has convective cooling with the faces of the boundaries between the gas and solid selected, and the fluids module has convective cooling with the same selected boundaries. I thought if I put convective cooling in both modules there would be coupled physics of the solid and gas that would find the temperature of the fluid. I have no problem finding the temperature of the solid though.

Related to Temperature field in the flowing gas (COMSOL)

1. What is a temperature field in a flowing gas?

A temperature field in a flowing gas refers to the distribution of temperatures within a gas that is in motion. This can be affected by factors such as the velocity and direction of the gas flow, as well as the properties of the gas itself.

2. Why is it important to study the temperature field in a flowing gas?

Understanding the temperature field in a flowing gas is crucial in various industrial and scientific applications. It can help in designing and optimizing processes such as combustion, heat transfer, and fluid flow. Additionally, studying the temperature field can provide insights into the behavior and characteristics of the gas, which is essential in areas like aerospace engineering and meteorology.

3. How is COMSOL used to simulate temperature fields in flowing gases?

COMSOL is a software platform that utilizes Finite Element Analysis (FEA) to simulate and analyze physical systems. It has a specialized module called "Heat Transfer Module" that allows for the simulation of temperature fields in flowing gases. Users can input the relevant parameters and boundary conditions to create a model of their specific system and analyze the resulting temperature field.

4. What are some factors that can affect the temperature field in a flowing gas?

Some factors that can affect the temperature field in a flowing gas include the velocity and direction of the gas flow, the thermal conductivity and specific heat of the gas, the geometry of the system, and any heat sources or sinks present. Additionally, external factors such as ambient temperature and pressure can also have an impact.

5. How can the temperature field in a flowing gas be visualized?

The temperature field in a flowing gas can be visualized through the use of contour plots, which show the variation of temperature across the system. Other visualization techniques such as streamlines and vector plots can also be used to display the direction and magnitude of the gas flow, which can provide additional insights into the temperature distribution.