Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Temperature measurement with a Pyromter

1. Oct 9, 2008 #1
    I want to measure the temperature of a metal surface surrounded by glass with a near infrared pyrometer(1.45 micron to 1.7 micron). I am not sure the influence of the glass on the measuremental accuracy. You know the infrared radiation may be absorbed by the glass to make uncertainty.

Please give me some advices on this issue.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2008 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF.

Depending on the type of glass, the transmission is likely 90%, give or take a few %, over that range. That means the reading will be about 2% to 4% lower than the actual temperature, on an absolute (eg. Kelvin) temperature scale. (Based on the T4 dependence of radiation.)

Do you have a sample of the same glass, without the metal in it? You can test the glass's effect by taking a reading, then hold the test glass in front of the pyrometer and take another reading. See how much the reading drops, and add that number to the original reading.

4. Oct 10, 2008 #3

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I've done similar measurements using infrared cameras. It's not a clean measurement- what kind of accuracy are you going for?

The best solution is to 'calibrate' the sample using a thermocouple to obtain an effective emissivity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?