What is the Temperature at which the Gap Between Two Bars will be Closed?

In summary, the problem involves two bars, brass and aluminium, attached to immovable walls with a 1.3x10-3m gap between them at 28°C. The objective is to find the temperature at which the gap will be closed. Using the equation for linear expansion, with the coefficients of linear expansion for brass and aluminium, and the lengths of the bars, we can solve for ΔT. Plugging in the given values, we get a temperature of 21.3°C, which when added to the initial temperature of 28°C, gives us the temperature at which the bars will touch.
BOAS

Homework Statement

A brass bar and an aluminium bar are each attached opposite each other to immovable walls. (There is a diagram, but I think the idea is clear enough). There is a gap between the two bars of 1.3x10-3m at 28°C.

At what temperature will the gap be closed?

coefficient of linear expansion of brass = 19x10-6 (C°)-1
aluminium = 23x10-6 (C°)-1

Length of brass bar = 2.0m
Length of aluminium bar = 1.0m

Homework Equations

ΔL = [itex]\alpha[/itex]LoΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure where to begin really. Obviously part of the problem is that the two rods are not going to meet in the middle as they expand.

I have 2 unknowns for both rods in the equation for linear expansion, so it's not really helpful to rearrange for ΔT and set them equal to each other.

If you could get me started that would be great,

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What must the sum of the ΔL's equal?

1.3 x 10^-3 m

Can I say:

ΔL + ΔL = [itex]\alpha[/itex]LoΔT + [itex]\alpha[/itex]LoΔT

1.3x10^-3 = (3.8x10^-5 + 23x10^-6)ΔT

ΔT = 21.3 degrees C

28 + 21.3 = Temp when bars will touch

Last edited:
BOAS said:
1.3 x 10^-3 m

Can I say:

ΔL + ΔL = [itex]\alpha[/itex]LoΔT + [itex]\alpha[/itex]LoΔT

1.3x10^-3 = (3.8x10^-5 + 23x10^-6)ΔT

ΔT = 21.3 degrees C

28 + 21.3 = Temp when bars will touch
I didn't check your arithmetic, but that is definitely the way to solve it.

Likes 1 person
I'll check and double check.

Thanks a lot!

1. What is linear thermal expansion?

Linear thermal expansion refers to the tendency of a material to expand or contract in one direction (length) when exposed to changes in temperature.

2. How does linear thermal expansion occur?

When a material is heated, its molecules vibrate faster and take up more space, causing the material to expand. Conversely, when a material is cooled, its molecules slow down and take up less space, leading to contraction.

3. What factors affect the amount of linear thermal expansion?

The amount of linear thermal expansion is dependent on the type of material, its initial length, and the change in temperature. Different materials have different coefficients of linear thermal expansion, which determines how much they will expand or contract.

4. What are some applications of linear thermal expansion?

Linear thermal expansion is used in many practical applications, such as in the construction of bridges and buildings, where the expansion and contraction of materials due to temperature changes must be taken into account. It is also important in the design of various household items, such as kitchen utensils and metal cookware.

5. Can linear thermal expansion be prevented?

While it cannot be completely prevented, the effects of linear thermal expansion can be minimized by using materials with low coefficients of expansion, incorporating expansion joints or gaps in structures, and using materials that can withstand high temperatures without significant expansion.