Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Temperature rise in Power Transformer

1. Oct 22, 2009 #1
    The following transformer gets overheated and I was looking for most probable the causes associated with it.

1. Rating : 7.5 MVA, 0.85 power factor, Power Transformer (Manufacturer - Kirloskar)
    2. Connected Load : Upto 6 MW
    3. Oil Natural Cooling System
    4. Normal Atmospheric Temperature : 25 C
    5. Clauses : The transformer performs well most of the times and at peak load that occurs mostly at 0600 hrs and 1800-2100 hrs. However, on a hot day the temperature of the transformer exceeds the permissible limits. The reading are as follows: Oil Temperature : 50 C, Winding Temperature : 73 C. The connected load at this time was noted to be upto 4 MW and the atmospheric temperature was noted to be about 30 C. This should, practically, never cause the transformer to overheat.
    6. Observation : The transformer's vent-pipe seemed to be missing, or perhaps this transformer never used one. Also, this is a pretty new transformer, installed in 2001.
    7. My assessment : I thought that the dielectric strength of the oil has deteriorated and/or sludge formation within the tank has occurred. I am planning to filter the oil in the tank.

What are your recommendations/feedback?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2009 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

This is too expensive of a problem to trust to a message board. Hire an engineer to evaluate the transformer. He'll want to physically examine the transformer and read the submittal information.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook