Temperature (Thermal Expansion) problem

In summary, at 0°C, each of the three bars is drilled with two holes 40cm apart. The bars are assembled into an equilateral triangle. The equation for the length of an ali bar vs temperature can be found by multiplying by two.
bcd201115

Homework Statement

Two metal bars are made of invar and a third is made of aluminum. At 0°C, each of the 3 bars is drilled with two holes 40cm apart. The bars are assembled into an equilateral triangle.

Homework Equations

a)ignoring expansion of the invar, find the angles between the invar bars as a function of Celsius temperature
b)is the answer accurate for negative as well as positive temps and c) for 0°C
d)assuming the tabulated expansion coefficients are constant, solve again including expansion of the invar
e and f) find the greatest and smallest attainable angles between the invar bars

I know this is a long problem with a lot of work but can anyone at least get me started, I am stuck as far as how to even start

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/b
aluminum melts at 660°C and invar at 1427°C

Physics news on Phys.org
Write an equation for the length of Ali bar when hot.
Draw a triangle.
Write an equation for the angle opposite the Ali bar.

Hint: It might be easier to write an equation for "half the angle" then double it... Draw a line from the corner where the invar bars meet to the middle of the Ali bar. Due to symetry it meets the Ali bar at 90 degrees.

what kind of equation do i write?

An equation for the length as a function of temperature. See "Linear Expansion" down here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_expansion

It's been a while since I did this but...

Lhot = Linitial + DeltaL

DeltaL = Linitial * AlphaL * DeltaT

So

Lhot = Linitial + Linitial * AlphaL * DeltaT

Lhot = Linitial * (1+ AlphaL*DeltaT)

okay so the first one says find the angle between the invar bars ignoring expansion, so how would i start that? sorry I am just really confused

At 0C all bars have same length => triangle with equal length sides => 180/3 = 60 degrees.

wow i was making that a lot harder than it was. it says as a function of celsius temperature so would it just be 0°C?

Err no. That's just the "angle between the invar bars ignoring expansion".

The question says ignore expansion of the invar but account for expansion of the Ali. Try this...

Draw a triangle with the base horizontal. Label the base "Ali" and the other two sides "Invar".

Draw a construction line from the corner at the top of the triangle to the middle of the Ali bar. Note it meets at a right angle.

Now imagine that the middle of the ali bar is fixed to the page with the right and left ends able to move away from the middle to the left and right as the ali expands. Note how the symetry is preserved. The angle where the construction line meets the Ali bar is allways 90 degrees.

Now look at one half of the triangle only. Let's say the right hand half. Label the angle between the right hand invar bar and the vertical construction line. The question actually asks for the angle between the two invar bars but you can multiply by 2 later right?

Now that angle you labeled..

Sin(angle) = Opposite over Hypotenuse

In this case the "opposite" is half the length of the Ali rod. The Hypotenuse is the length of the invar rod. So

Sin(angle) = 0.5 * length of ali rod/(length of invar rod)
or
Angle = Sin-1(0.5 * length of ali rod/(length of invar rod)

So now find an equation for the length of an ali bar vs temperature. Substitute it into the equation above.

Remember to multiply the answer by two.

Check your answer by setting a temperature of 0C. The angle should be 30 x 2 = 60 degrees.

Job done... or at least part a).

Last edited:

1. How does temperature affect the expansion of materials?

As temperature increases, the molecules in a material gain energy and begin to vibrate more, causing the material to expand. Conversely, as temperature decreases, the molecules lose energy and vibrate less, causing the material to contract.

2. What is the coefficient of thermal expansion?

The coefficient of thermal expansion (CTE) is a measure of how much a material expands or contracts for every degree change in temperature. It is typically expressed in units of length per unit length per degree Celsius or Kelvin.

3. What are some common examples of thermal expansion in everyday life?

Some common examples of thermal expansion include the widening of gaps in bridges and railroad tracks during hot weather, the bending of metal objects when heated, and the cracking of glass when exposed to extreme temperature changes.

4. How does thermal expansion affect engineering and construction?

Thermal expansion is an important consideration in engineering and construction as it can cause structural changes and potential damage to buildings, bridges, and other structures. Engineers and architects must take into account the CTE of materials when designing structures that will be exposed to temperature changes.

5. Can thermal expansion be controlled or prevented?

Thermal expansion cannot be completely prevented, but it can be controlled through the use of expansion joints, which allow for the material to expand and contract without causing damage. Additionally, choosing materials with lower CTEs can help minimize the effects of thermal expansion.