Temporal overlap of light beams

In summary, if you want to generate two individual light beams that are spatially and temporally overlapped, you need to delay one of the beams.
scarecrow
Let's assume I can generate two individual light beams, one centered at a wavelength of 800nm (visible) and the other at 3450 nm (infrared).

Obviously the visible light has a higher frequency than the infrared light. Since all EM waves travel at the speed of light, how can one achieve temporal overlap of two different light frequencies?

I'm thinking that one must delay one of the light beams, but I'm uncertain of the correct equations to use to show this.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure what you mean by temporal overlap?
At realistic intensities light doesn't interact with light (it can in very high power lasers).

mgb_phys said:
Not sure what you mean by temporal overlap?
At realistic intensities light doesn't interact with light (it can in very high power lasers).
That's exactly what I'm using: high powered lasers. Sorry, let me clarify my setup:

I have two laser beams that need to be spatially and temporally overlapped, i.e. they need to be overlapped in space and time.

In other words, both laser beams need to hit the sample in the same spot and at the same exact time.

Sorry was overcomplicating things because you posted in the quantum forum!

If these are pulsed lasers and you just need the pulse to arrive at the target at the same time then you only have to worry about the dispersion of the medium. That is the refractive index of the material will be slightly different at the two wavelengths and so the speed will be different.
This site will calculate it http://www.luxpop.com/

For air at the two wavelengths you said, for a short lab bench distance the differenc is going to be very small, you will probabaly have more difficulty triggering the lasers that accurately.

The high power laser thing applies to VERY high power (giga-terra Watt) pulses where quantum effects begin to matter, here laser beams passing through each other can interact.

I understand now.

thanks

1. What is temporal overlap of light beams?

Temporal overlap of light beams refers to the phenomenon when two or more light beams intersect or coincide in time. This typically occurs when two or more light sources are activated simultaneously or when a single light source is split into multiple beams.

2. What factors affect temporal overlap of light beams?

The main factors that affect temporal overlap of light beams include the duration and intensity of the light beams, the angle at which the beams intersect, and the medium through which the beams travel. Other factors such as the wavelength and polarization of the light can also play a role.

3. What are the applications of studying temporal overlap of light beams?

Studying temporal overlap of light beams is important in fields such as optics, photonics, and telecommunications. It can help us understand how light behaves in different settings and how we can control and manipulate it for various applications, such as in optical sensors and data communication systems.

4. How is temporal overlap of light beams measured?

Temporal overlap of light beams can be measured using a variety of techniques, such as using a photodetector to measure the intensity of the overlapping beams, or using interferometry to measure the phase difference between the beams. The specific method used depends on the properties of the light beams and the desired outcome.

5. Can temporal overlap of light beams be controlled?

Yes, temporal overlap of light beams can be controlled through various means, such as adjusting the timing and duration of the light sources, using optical elements to manipulate the beams, and changing the medium through which the beams travel. This control is essential in many applications where precise and controlled light interactions are needed.