Temprature-Entropy cyclic process

In summary, the conversation discusses a temperature-entropy graph and a hypothetical cyclic process. The heat input and output along each path are calculated and an expression for efficiency (η) in terms of T1 and T2 is found. The process with the most change in T and S is the linear process II-III, with a heat extraction. The heat for the isothermal process I-II can be found using equations for III and II points on the graph.
astrozilla

Homework Statement

There is a temperature-Entropy graph (T-S) (attachment),which illustrates a hypothetical cyclic process.
a) Calculate the heat input or output along each of the paths.

b) Find an expression for the efficiency η of the complete cycle in terms of T1 and T2 only.

Homework Equations

for b ,η=(Q1/Q2)-1=(T1/T2 )-1,HEAT INPUT: DH=DQ (ONLY in case of isobaric change)

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• temperature-entropy gragh.jpg
    temperature-entropy gragh.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 366
Physics news on Phys.org
[PLAIN]http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/3227/temperatureentropygragh.jpg
I suppose the most complicated path is the linear process II-III (see attached image) in which both T and S change:
[tex]T(S)= \alpha S + T_0[/tex]
where [tex]\alpha, T_0 >0[/tex] are some constants.
So, in this process we have
[tex]\frac{dS}{dT} = \frac{1}{\alpha}[/tex]
and hence
[tex]\delta Q_{II-III} = TdS = \frac{1}{\alpha} T dT[/tex]

When T changes from [tex]T_1[/tex] to [tex]T_2[/tex] you have
[tex]Q_{II-III} = \frac{1}{\alpha}\int_{T_1}^{T_2} TdT = -\frac{1}{2\alpha} \left(T_1^2 - T_2^2 \right)[/tex]
That is, the heat is extracted in this process.
Now for the process III-I where the entropy is constant it is trivial that [tex]Q_{III-I}=0[/tex]. It is in fact an adiabatic process.

Try to find the heat for isothermal process I-II. Note that the change of the entropy
[tex]S_{II} - S_{I}[/tex]
you can express in terms of [tex]T_2[/tex], [tex]T_1[/tex] and [tex]\alpha[/tex] just from the following equations for III and II points on the graph:
[tex]T_2 = \alpha S_{I} +T_0[/tex]

[tex]T_1 = \alpha S_{II} + T_0[/tex]
Note also that [tex]S_{I}=S_{III}[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
That's amazing.Thank you very much for both answers !

What is a temperature-entropy cyclic process?

A temperature-entropy cyclic process is a thermodynamic process in which a system undergoes a series of changes, returning to its original state at the end of the process. This type of process is characterized by changes in temperature and entropy of the system.

What is the significance of a temperature-entropy cyclic process?

A temperature-entropy cyclic process is significant because it allows for the transfer of heat between a system and its surroundings without any net change in the system's internal energy. This makes it a useful tool in understanding and analyzing thermodynamic systems.

What is the difference between a temperature-entropy cyclic process and a Carnot cycle?

A temperature-entropy cyclic process is a general term that describes any process in which a system undergoes a series of changes and returns to its initial state, while a Carnot cycle specifically refers to an idealized thermodynamic cycle that operates between two fixed temperature reservoirs. In a Carnot cycle, the system follows a reversible path and the efficiency of the process is maximum.

What are the key components of a temperature-entropy diagram?

A temperature-entropy diagram, also known as a T-s diagram, is a graphical representation of a temperature-entropy cyclic process. The key components of this diagram include the x-axis, which represents entropy, and the y-axis, which represents temperature. The diagram also includes lines of constant temperature and constant entropy, as well as the reversible and irreversible paths of the process.

What are some real-life applications of temperature-entropy cyclic processes?

Temperature-entropy cyclic processes have various real-life applications, such as in refrigeration and power generation. For example, the Carnot cycle is used as a theoretical model for heat engines such as steam turbines, gas turbines, and internal combustion engines. These processes also play a crucial role in understanding and improving the efficiency of industrial processes, such as in chemical and manufacturing industries.