1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Temprature-Entropy cyclic process

1. May 6, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There is a temperature-Entropy graph (T-S) (attachment),which illustrates a hypothetical cyclic process.
    a) Calculate the heat input or output along each of the paths.

b) Find an expression for the efficiency η of the complete cycle in terms of T1 and T2 only.

2. Relevant equations

for b ,η=(Q1/Q2)-1=(T1/T2 )-1,HEAT INPUT: DH=DQ (ONLY in case of isobaric change)

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2010 #2

physicsworks

Gold Member

[PLAIN]http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/3227/temperatureentropygragh.jpg [Broken]
    I suppose the most complicated path is the linear process II-III (see attached image) in which both T and S change:
    [tex]T(S)= \alpha S + T_0[/tex]
    where [tex]\alpha, T_0 >0[/tex] are some constants.
    So, in this process we have
    [tex]\frac{dS}{dT} = \frac{1}{\alpha}[/tex]
    and hence
    [tex]\delta Q_{II-III} = TdS = \frac{1}{\alpha} T dT[/tex]

When T changes from [tex]T_1[/tex] to [tex]T_2[/tex] you have
    [tex]Q_{II-III} = \frac{1}{\alpha}\int_{T_1}^{T_2} TdT = -\frac{1}{2\alpha} \left(T_1^2 - T_2^2 \right)[/tex]
    That is, the heat is extracted in this process.
    Now for the process III-I where the entropy is constant it is trivial that [tex]Q_{III-I}=0[/tex]. It is in fact an adiabatic process.

Try to find the heat for isothermal process I-II. Note that the change of the entropy
    [tex]S_{II} - S_{I}[/tex]
    you can express in terms of [tex]T_2[/tex], [tex]T_1[/tex] and [tex]\alpha[/tex] just from the following equations for III and II points on the graph:
    [tex]T_2 = \alpha S_{I} +T_0[/tex]

[tex]T_1 = \alpha S_{II} + T_0[/tex]
    Note also that [tex]S_{I}=S_{III}[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. May 6, 2010 #3
    That's amazing.Thank you very much for both answers !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook