Tension and acceleration, one floating block, one sliding

In summary, the problem involves a floating block with a mass of 2.62kg and a sliding block with a mass of 7.62kg connected by a massless and unstretchable cord, with a pulley that has no friction and no rotational inertia. The acceleration of both blocks is equivalent to the acceleration of gravity, which is 9.81m/s2. The tension in the string is calculated by multiplying the total mass (m1 + m2) by the acceleration of gravity. Both blocks will experience the same acceleration and there is only one tension acting on the system. The problem does not specify any friction force acting on the floating block.
jstep
Need Simple Clarification: Tension and acceleration, one floating block, one sliding

Homework Statement

gravity is 9.81m/s2
m1 = 2.62kg
m2 = 7.62kg

[PLAIN]http://uploadpad.com/files/Screen_shot_2011-02-27_at_5.40.01_PM.png

Assume the cord to be light (massless and weightless) and unstretchable and the pulley to have no friction and no rotational inertia.

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I am asked for the acceleration of the first block. Would this just be the acceleration of gravity?

Then I am asked for the tension in the string. Do I need to add both masses, and multiply by gravity? Is the following correct?

F = (m1 + m2) * a, a = 9.81m/s2

Each block should accelerate at the same rate, correct? is this the rate of gravity?

But if both blocks accelerate at the same rate, that means that there are different forces acting on each block as their masses are different. So does that mean that the tension of the string is different in each part of the problem? If I am asked for the tension, do I add these two tensions together?

I am not sure if I am overlooking something.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, both blocks will have the same acceleration.
There is only one tension; it pulls to the right on m1 and up on m2. This can be deduced from the fact that the string has no significant mass.

Did you show the question in full? It doesn't say what friction force the floating block experiences, if any.

1. What is tension in physics?

Tension in physics refers to the force that is transmitted through a string, rope, cable, or similar object when it is pulled tight by forces acting from opposite ends. It is a type of force that can either be compressive or tensile, depending on the direction in which it is acting.

2. How is tension related to acceleration?

In the context of a floating block and a sliding block, tension is related to acceleration through Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In this scenario, tension is one of the forces acting on the sliding block, and it influences the acceleration of the block.

3. What factors affect the tension in a system?

The tension in a system can be affected by several factors, including the mass of the objects involved, the magnitude and direction of the forces acting on those objects, and the properties of the medium through which the tension is transmitted (e.g. the material and thickness of a rope).

4. How does the tension in a string change if one block is floating and one is sliding?

In this scenario, the tension in the string will remain constant as long as the system is in equilibrium, meaning that the forces acting on each block are balanced. However, if the sliding block were to accelerate, the tension in the string would increase to counteract the additional force being applied to the block.

5. How can tension be calculated in a system?

Tension can be calculated in a system by using Newton's second law of motion, as well as any relevant equations that describe the forces acting on the objects in the system. For example, in the case of a floating block and a sliding block, the tension can be calculated by considering the weight of the sliding block and the normal force exerted on the floating block.