Tension and centripetal forces

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the velocity of a stone attached to a string moving in a horizontal circular path. The tension force of the string is given as 160 N and the mass of the stone is 4 kg. After some trial and error, it is determined that the angle of the string must be 76 degrees to balance the stone's weight and provide the centripetal force. From this, the radius is calculated to be 9.7 m and the velocity is found to be approximately 19.3 m/s. The conversation also touches on the confusion about the direction of the string and the stone's reaction to gravity.
Misr

Homework Statement

A stone of mass 4 Kg is attached to a string , its length 10 m .it moves in a horizontal circular path. The tension force of the string becomes 160 N then calculate its velocity.

The Attempt at a Solution

Its quite easy to solve when supposing the tension force = centripetal force while this is not given in the problem so how to solve it??

If tension = centripetal force

them 160 = m V^2/r
160= 4 * V^2 /10
then V = 20 m/s

so my problem that"it is not necessary for the tension force to be equal to the centripetal force" so could you help me??

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: The string is not horizontal.

I don't know how this could help
can u explain more please
Thanks so much

Analyze the forces on the stone. Hint: The only acceleration is horizontal. Use this to figure out the angle the string must make with the horizontal.

mmm I think it is simpler than this
but i think gravity hasn't any effect on the body because the body is moving in a horizontal circular path
and gravity is vertical and centripetal force is horizontal so making an angle of 90 degrees

then gravity hasn't any effect on the body , so the the centripetal force is equal to tension force

i don't know if this right or wron
but If F resultant (centripetal force) = Tension - gravity

and since gravity has no effect on the body

therefore centripetal force = Tension force

right?

Misr said:
mmm I think it is simpler than this
but i think gravity hasn't any effect on the body because the body is moving in a horizontal circular path
Gravity certainly has an effect on the body. If you don't balance the gravitational force, the stone falls.

You are given the tension in the string. That tension does two things: It balances gravity and provides the centripetal force. What angle must the string have in order to balance the stone's weight.

What angle must the string have in order to balance the stone's weight.
dunno

Misr said:
dunno
Figure it out! You know the tension and you know the weight of the stone. What string angle gives zero net force on the stone in the vertical direction?

90 degrees?

Misr said:
90 degrees?
Not the angle that gives zero string force in the vertical direction, the angle that gives zero net force on the stone in the vertical direction. Another way of putting it: Gravity acts down on the stone. The string must exert a vertical force on the stone that just equals its weight. Solve for the angle that does that.

I made this simple trial
i think nothin wrong with it but still don't know why Fc = Ft bec theta is unknown
[PLAIN]http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/9569/tensionp.jpg
or in order to make Fc sin theta = Fg
then theta should be 90 degrees

Last edited by a moderator:
Misr said:
I made this simple trial
i think nothin wrong with it but still don't know why Fc = Ft bec theta is unknown
Your diagram has the string slanting upwards towards the stone, but it should slant downwards. The string is pulling the stone up, not down.
or in order to make Fc sin theta = Fg
then theta should be 90 degrees
This is not correct, but what's stated in your diagram is correct.

Ft cosθ = Fg

Ft sinθ = Fc

Sorry[PLAIN]http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/5111/tension.jpg
This is not correct, but what's stated in your diagram is correct.
yes its not correct but how to solve the prob. without knowing that Fc =Ft??

Last edited by a moderator:
You are given Ft and the mass. Start by solving for the angle.

hmmm
I should have replaced fg by f normal??

anyways
cos theta = 10/160
theta = 86 dregrees

160* sin 86 =Fc
therefore Fc = 159.6

but i found another problem
the raduis length is not the same as string length :(

Misr said:
hmmm
I should have replaced fg by f normal??
There's no normal force here.

anyways
cos theta = 10/160
theta = 86 dregrees
What's Fg? Redo this.

but i found another problem
the raduis length is not the same as string length
Figure out the radius from the string length and the angle.

What's Fg? Redo this.
sorry its 40 N
then theta = 76 degrees
sin 76 = r /10
r = 9.7 m
Fc= Ft costheta = 160 * cos 76 = 155 N
therefore
Fc = m Vo^2/r

by substituting Vo = 19.3 m/s approx.

right?

There's no normal force here.
i know but I'm just confused bout the direction
the string makes an angle of 76 degrees with the reaction of the ball to gravity
so i thought of it as -Fg (and this inverts everythi in the problem upside down) so why do we neglect the direction ??

thanks very much

Misr said:
sorry its 40 N
then theta = 76 degrees
sin 76 = r /10
r = 9.7 m
Fc= Ft costheta = 160 * cos 76 = 155 N
therefore
Fc = m Vo^2/r

by substituting Vo = 19.3 m/s approx.

right?
Looks good.

i know but I'm just confused bout the direction
the string makes an angle of 76 degrees with the reaction of the ball to gravity
so i thought of it as -Fg (and this inverts everythi in the problem upside down) so why do we neglect the direction ??
The string makes an angle of 76 degrees with the vertical. I don't know what you mean by "reaction to gravity" or why you think some direction is neglected.

Realize that in the vertical direction there is no acceleration:
ΣFy = 0
Ftcosθ - mg = 0

Thus: Ftcosθ = mg

Realize that in the vertical direction there is no acceleration:
ΣFy = 0
Ftcosθ - mg = 0

Thus: Ftcosθ = mg
Yes got it
I'm just havin some prob with drawing free body diagrams as they don't teach us how to draw them at school.
Thanks

1. What is tension?

Tension is a force that is created when an object is pulled or stretched. It is a type of force that is present in many physical phenomena, such as ropes, cables, and springs.

2. How is tension related to centripetal forces?

Tension and centripetal forces are closely related as tension often acts as the centripetal force in circular motion. In other words, tension is responsible for keeping an object moving in a circular path by pulling it towards the center of the circle.

3. What is the difference between tension and centripetal force?

The main difference between tension and centripetal force is that tension is a force that is created by pulling or stretching an object, whereas centripetal force is a force that acts towards the center of a circular path and keeps an object moving in that path.

4. How does tension affect the speed of an object in circular motion?

The tension in a string or rope affects the speed of an object in circular motion by providing the necessary centripetal force. As the tension increases, the speed of the object also increases due to the stronger centripetal force pulling it towards the center of the circle.

5. Can tension and centripetal force exist without each other?

No, tension and centripetal force cannot exist without each other. In circular motion, centripetal force is necessary to keep an object moving in a circular path, and tension is the force that provides this centripetal force. Without tension, an object would not be able to maintain its circular motion.