Tension and Force in pulley system

In summary: Your FBD looks good. Continue with the *hint* regarding how to orient your coordinate system for your FBD.
Plasmosis1

Homework Statement

Due to settlement of soil, a recently planted tree has started to lean. To straighten it, the cable system shown is used, where a turnbuckle on cable AB is periodically tightened to keep the cable taut as the tree gradually straightens. If the force in cable AB is 395 N, determine the force in cable CBD.
(see attached diagram)

Homework Equations

Fx=F*cos(θ)
Fy=F*sin(θ)

The Attempt at a Solution

*hint* A FBD of the pulley at B is recommended to begin this problem. Isolating pulley B from its surrounding requires a closed surface passing through cables AB and BCD (along both segments BC and BD). The problem has a symmetry that becomes apparent with an orthogonal coordinate system having one axis aligned with AB.

What does the hint mean by "closed surface passing through cables AB and BCD"?
I don't know what the question means by the force in cable CBD. Is it referring to total tension or something?

Attachments

• IEA1.PNG
    IEA1.PNG
    7.9 KB · Views: 2,028
  • IEA2.png
    IEA2.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 1,482
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Plasmosis1 said:
Imagine drawing a box around the pulley. Your "system" is everything in the box, which of course includes the pulley itself. The forces on the box are due to the various tensions in the cables attached to it.

I don't know what the question means by the force in cable CBD. Is it referring to total tension or something?
Just the tension in that cable. (Not sure what "total" tension would mean.)

Plasmosis1 said:

It's just a way of visually isolating the pulley. As long as you can draw a FBD for the pulley, you can forget about the closed surface.

The "force in cable CBD" is the tension in the cable. I'm not sure what you mean by "total" tension. The cable has a tension which you can assume has the same value at each point of the cable.

[EDIT: I see Doc Al already replied while I was still typing.]

Ok but that still doesn't help me with solving for the force in CBD. Can someone walk me through the steps please?

Plasmosis1 said:
Ok but that still doesn't help me with solving for the force in CBD.
Did you draw a FBD for the pulley? What forces act on it? What are their directions?

I just attached a FBD of the pulley but it doesn't really help much. I don't know any of the angles for BD so I don't know how to account for the forces with it.

Your FBD looks good. Continue with the *hint* regarding how to orient your coordinate system for your FBD.

Ok so AB bisects angle CBD. If you make AB the x-axis CB and DB will be 28-11=17 degrees above and below the x-axis. The two x-component of the two will add up to 395 so the x component of one of them is 395/2=197.5. So the tension is 197.5/cos(17)=207N.
Thanks!

1. What is a pulley system?

A pulley system is a mechanical device that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope or belt that runs through the groove. It is used to transmit force and change the direction of motion.

2. How does tension affect a pulley system?

Tension is the pulling force that is applied to the rope or belt in a pulley system. It is important because it determines the amount of force that can be transmitted through the system. The higher the tension, the greater the force that can be transmitted.

3. What is the relationship between tension and force in a pulley system?

In a pulley system, the tension on the rope or belt is equal throughout the system. This means that the force applied on one end of the rope or belt will be equal to the force transmitted on the other end. However, the direction of the force may change depending on the type of pulley system.

4. How do multiple pulleys affect tension and force?

Multiple pulleys in a system can reduce the amount of force needed to lift a heavy object. This is because each pulley adds its own tension to the system, resulting in a combined tension that is greater than the force applied. This makes it easier to lift heavy objects.

5. Can the direction of force be changed in a pulley system?

Yes, the direction of force can be changed in a pulley system. This is achieved by using different types of pulleys, such as fixed, movable, or compound pulleys. Each type of pulley can change the direction of force in a different way, allowing for more flexibility in the use of pulley systems.