1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension from Incline Plane: Only Measured in Horizontal Direction?

1. Sep 20, 2009 #1
    Ok, so in the red box it says that the tension is obtained from the horizontal dimension. This seems very wrong to me. Could someone explain this to me? Isn't there tension in the vertical dimension?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/9276/inclineplanesolution.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2009 #2
    Note that the x direction isn't horizontal, but along the slope. Only the known force of gravity
    and the tension in the rope have a component in this direction.

4. Sep 20, 2009 #3
    Thanks for your time.
    This is noted. Even with the rotated axis, T still has a vertical component.

What he seems to be implying is that tension is only the horizontal component of force T. This I'm finding hard to digest.

5. Sep 21, 2009 #4
    That isn't what he means. He means you can find the tension if you know the component in the x direction: T cos(theta)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook