Tension in a rotating ring under gravity

In summary, the tension in a rotating chain is approximately proportional to the mass density and the radius of the chain, and is independent of the velocity of the center of mass.
ricles
Homework Statement
A metal chain is put on rotation over a horizontal surface with enough velocity not to collapse. The chain's mass density ##\rho## is known, as well as its radius ##R## and the velocity of its center of mass, ##v##. Find the tension in the chain.
Relevant Equations
The linear and rotating motion equations
I know the solution for the problem of the tension on a rotating ring without gravity (tha is, ##\frac{mR\omega^2}{2\pi}##) - that I find simple enough. But I'm at a loss how can I change it to do with gravity :/
Any help is appreciated! (and apologies for the bad drawing)

Attachments

• rotating_chain.png
    rotating_chain.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
ricles said:
Homework Statement:: A metal chain is put on rotation over a horizontal surface with enough velocity not to collapse. The chain's mass density \rho is known, as well as its radius R and the velocity of its center of mass, v. Find the tension in the chain.
Relevant Equations:: The linear and rotating motion equations

But I'm at a loss how can I change it to do with gravity :/
why do you think that such a motion exists under the gravity?

Likes ricles
wrobel said:
why do you think that such a motion exists under the gravity?

it doesn't spontaneously, but yet it is thusly put in motion - you can picture yourself rotating a short light chain with your fingers and letting it go on the floor, for instance, and in principle you should be able to rotate it fast enough that it doesn't collapse when you let it go. but I'm having trouble figuring out how gravity - once you let it go on the floor - affects the tension on the chain (which, I suppose, it does)

ricles said:
Homework Statement:: A metal chain is put on rotation over a horizontal surface with enough velocity not to collapse. The chain's mass density \rho is known, as well as its radius R and the velocity of its center of mass, v. Find the tension in the chain.
It is not obvious that the rolling shape would be circular (as opposed to elliptical for example) or that the tension would be constant throughout. How do you know that each of these (implicit assumptions) is correct?

My gut feel is that the situation is much more complicated than you think. You may find this article about rolling rubber bands (not dissimilar to chains in some ways) interesting.
https://physicsworld.com/a/rolling-rubber-bands-stretch-students/

Likes Delta2 and ricles
Thanks a lot for the reference!
Indeed, the problem seems more complicated in general.
But, in principle, shouldn't you be able to rotate the chain (or ribbon, or what have you) quickly enough so that it doesn't deform/collapse after you let it go, for at least some time? Maybe it will deform and then collapse after some time, but then I guess there should be a ##\Delta t## s.t. for ## t < Δt ## the deformations are negligible enough... maybe you can read this as a transient-state problem

Likes Delta2
ricles said:
Thanks a lot for the reference!
Indeed, the problem seems more complicated in general.
But, in principle, shouldn't you be able to rotate the chain (or ribbon, or what have you) quickly enough so that it doesn't deform/collapse after you let it go, for at least some time? Maybe it will deform and then collapse after some time, but then I guess there should be a ##\Delta t## s.t. for ## t < Δt ## the deformations are negligible enough... maybe you can read this as a transient-state problem
It it were rotating fast enough to keep a circular shape, I think this would require that the centripetal acceleration be much bigger than the acceleration due to gravity ##(R\omega^2\text{ }\gg\text{ } g)##. This would mean that tension would still be (to a good approximation) ##\frac{mR\omega^2}{2\pi}## . And, of course, the centre of the circle would have speed ##R\omega##.

For smaller rotational speeds, you could probably get stability. In the absence of frictional losses the rolling would continue indefinitely. But I think the shape and tension-distribution would be much harder to calculate,

Likes ricles
wrobel said:
why do you think that after taking into account the gravity it still would be a circle?
As noted, that would only apply at sufficiently high rotational speeds.

The simple answer is that it is a requirement of symmetry. A more detailed explanation is this:

For a chain rolling along the ground, the forces on a link are:
F₁ - the tension pulling on one side of the link.
F₂ - the tension pulling on the other side of the link.
F₃ - the link's weight.
F₄ - (for the link currently in contact with the ground) the reaction force from the ground. (I think this equals the chain's total weight.)

As ω gets bigger, F₁ and F₂ get bigger but F₃ and F₄ remain constant. If we make ω big enough then F₃ and F₄ become negligible compared to F₁ and F₂. So we can ignore F₃ and F₄. That means (in terms of forces) we are effectively in the same situtation as if g=0. There is no preferred direction for the forces on the various links so we have circular symmetry. A circular shape is the simplest shape satisfying this.

Interestingly other possible shapes could exist. These are standing waves around the chain a bit like these:
https://spark.iop.org/sites/default/files/image/setup-standing-waves-on-a-closed-loop.gif
A standing wave pattern would be rotating around the centre. But standing waves are not relevant here.

Likes ricles
Steve4Physics said:
If it were rotating fast enough to keep a circular shape
Not possible. It would be like inflating a tyre so much that it remains perfectly circular under load.

Likes Delta2 and ricles
haruspex said:
Not possible. It would be like inflating a tyre so much that it remains perfectly circular under load.
Yes indeed. I should have said "approximate circular shape". The bigger ω/g gets, the closer the shape approximates to a circle.. But ω can't be infinite.

Likes Delta2
But then, being impossible doesn't stop people from considering things like perfect circles, that rotate while having only one point in contact with the floor - and that could still provide useful results.
I agree, considering the situation presented, ##\frac{mR\omega^2}{2\pi}## is a good enough approximation - gravity doesn't quite play a role here, but if/when it did, the geometry would indeed be a tad more complicated.
Thanks a lot for the clarifying answers! :)
Cheers

Likes Steve4Physics
Interestingly other possible shapes could exist. These are standing waves around the chain a bit like these:
https://spark.iop.org/sites/default/files/image/setup-standing-waves-on-a-closed-loop.gif
A standing wave pattern would be rotating around the centre. But standing waves are not relevant here.

(maybe) Interestingly, my next question (that I wouldn't post here, but since you alluded to it) would be:
now, if there was a pump on the road, and the chain went rotating over it
rotating_chai_pump.png

the pump would generate a pulse that propagates through the chain. What would be the velocity of the propagating pulse? But now I guess it would be just like finding the propagating velocity of a pulse on a tensioned string - not too interesting 🤔

Agreed. You would possibly get ##v = f(R)\sqrt{\frac{T}{\mu}}## where f(R) allows for the propagation in a curved path rather than in a straight line.

Likes ricles
Steve4Physics said:
Yes indeed. I should have said "approximate circular shape". The bigger ω/g gets, the closer the shape approximates to a circle.. But ω can't be infinite.
Well, I'm not convinced it works at all with a chain. As each link hits the ground, flat, it loses all its KE. Unless there's something subtle going on where the links rise again (as in the chain fountain), seems to me the whole thing will collapse pretty quickly, no matter what the rotation rate.
For elastic bands it is different; they have some elastic resistance to being curved.

Steve4Physics said:
My gut feel is that the situation is much more complicated than you think.
ricles said:
the pump would generate a pulse that propagates through the chain. What would be the velocity of the propagating pulse? But now I guess it would be just like finding the propagating velocity of a pulse on a tensioned string - not too interesting 🤔
No it is very interesting. The relationship you calculated for the tension in a ring without gravity can be written as $$T=\rho v^2$$ Notice this relationship is independent of R and recapitulates that for a propagating pulse on a string. So as long as the top is locally circular the chain does the tension adjustment for you.

hutchphd said:
No it is very interesting. The relationship you calculated for the tension in a ring without gravity can be written as $$T=\rho v^2$$ Notice this relationship is independent of R and recapitulates that for a propagating pulse on a string. So as long as the top is locally circular the chain does the tension adjustment for you.

I'm not sure I follow you. Do you refer to the tension calculated as ##\frac{mR\omega^2}{2\pi}##? Then it doesn't quite seem to be independent of R 🤔 (we have ## \frac{mR\omega^2}{2\pi} = \frac{mR\left(\frac{v}{R}\right)^2}{2\pi} = \frac{mv^2}{2\pi R} ##, which does seem to depend on R, right? - more precisely, it is inversely proportional to the circunference).

Or do you mean it doesn't depend on "##R##", read as a vector that represents each point's position in the circle? And, in that sense, the tension doesn't depend on ##R## (but it most likely would, if the shape assumed wasn't circular)

haruspex said:
Well, I'm not convinced it works at all with a chain. As each link hits the ground, flat, it loses all its KE. Unless there's something subtle going on where the links rise again (as in the chain fountain), seems to me the whole thing will collapse pretty quickly, no matter what the rotation rate.
For elastic bands it is different; they have some elastic resistance to being curved.

Oh, but wouldn't you have a chain to be close enough to an elastic band if the chain's links were small enough? Or, even if they weren't, wouldn't the links not hit the ground flat and lose their KE if they were rotating fast enough (due to inertia)?

A rolling circular hoop has instantaneous velocities: 2v at top, v at centre , 0 at bottom. To a good approximation the speed of a link coming into contact with the ground will be zero so there is relatively little kinetic energy to lose on 'impact'. For a real-world rolling chain, the main energy losses probably would be due to friction in the joints between links.

Likes ricles
ricles said:
I'm not sure I follow you. Do you refer to the tension calculated as mRω22π? Then it doesn't quite seem to be independent of R 🤔 (we have mRω22π=mR(vR)22π=mv22πR, which does seem to depend on R, right? - more precisely, it is inversely proportional to the circunference).
Yes but $$m/2 \pi R $$ is called ##\rho## the linear mass density of the chain. Poof ! there goes R :smile:

Likes ricles

1. What is tension in a rotating ring under gravity?

Tension in a rotating ring under gravity is the force that acts on the ring due to its rotation and the gravitational pull of the Earth. It is the force that keeps the ring in a circular motion and prevents it from collapsing.

2. How is tension calculated in a rotating ring under gravity?

Tension in a rotating ring under gravity can be calculated using the formula T = mv²/r, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the ring, v is the velocity of the ring, and r is the radius of the ring. This formula applies to a non-rotating ring as well.

3. What factors affect tension in a rotating ring under gravity?

The tension in a rotating ring under gravity is affected by the mass of the ring, the velocity of the ring, and the radius of the ring. It is also affected by the strength of the gravitational pull, which depends on the mass of the Earth and the distance from the center of the Earth.

4. How does tension change as the ring rotates faster?

As the ring rotates faster, the tension in the ring increases. This is because the velocity of the ring increases, which in turn increases the centripetal force needed to keep the ring in a circular motion. Therefore, the tension in the ring must also increase to balance out this force.

5. What happens to tension if the ring is rotating at a constant speed?

If the ring is rotating at a constant speed, the tension in the ring remains constant as well. This is because the velocity and centripetal force remain constant, and therefore the tension needed to balance out this force also remains constant. However, any change in the mass, radius, or gravitational pull will affect the tension in the ring.