1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension in a rotating ring

1. Aug 18, 2012 #1
    Hello people,

So i found out the tension in a ring rotating with constant angular velocity (in gravity free space)

Considering a small element of mass dm - tension will provide the centripetal force,
    2Tsin(dθ/2) = dmrω^2
    sindθ ≈ dθ
    dm = m/2πr ds
    ds = rdθ

T = (mrω^2)/2π

Now, the other method
    K.E. = K = 1/2 Iω^2 = 1/2 mr^2 ω^2

If we increase the radius from r to r+dr, then work done by tension
    dW = T d(2πr) = dK
    T = 1/2π dK/dr
    T = (mrω^2)/2π

Even though i get the same result, i have a doubt whether the second method is correct
    I know that F=-dU/dr , but whether T=dK/ds , i don't know

Also, i want to know the general approach of calculating tension in situations like electro-magnetic fields, rotation & all.

Regards

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Typo: you mean dmrω^2
    I can't think of a justification for that method. Can you describe your reasoning here?

4. Aug 19, 2012 #3
    Yeah dmrω^2 , sorry

As i said, if radius of the ring is increased by dr, then work done by the tangential force tension will be T*(change in circumference) which will be equal to the change in kinetic energy which in this case is the rotational energy.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  5. Aug 19, 2012 #4

K^2

Science Advisor

Yes, the approach is valid. If you have doubts, you can replace the ring by N discrete points with tension T between them and derive dW=T ds for N->Inf.

6. Aug 19, 2012 #5
    Dividing it into N discrete points, why didn't i think of that?

Anyways, thank you very much.
    I think i understand it now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook