1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension in elevator

1. Oct 9, 2007 #1
    A stationary elevator and its contents have a combined mass of 3000Kg. The elevator is suspended by a single cable. (Assume three significant digits.)
    Draw a free-body diagram of the elevator and calculate the values of all the forces that are acting on it when at rest.
    If the elevator is ascending at a speed of 3.0 m/s, what are the values of the forces acting at this point?
    If the elevator is descending at 3.0 m/s2, what are the values of all the forces acting at this point?

For a i did---F_g=mg = 3000*9.8=29400N (Down)
    F_T=29400 N (Up)

For c i did---Net Force downwards=mg-T
    downward acceleration= Net force/m= (mg-T)/m
    a = g-T/m
    T= (g-a)m
    = (9.8-3)3000= 20400N(Up)
    Net Force acting upwards= mg= 3000*9.8= 29400N(Down)

how to do part b?what equation should i use?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2007 #2
    While the elevator is ascending, it's acceleration (i'm assuming) is constant, which means that the force is not changing. F=ma
    For part b, just substitute in -3.0m/s^2 for the a, and you have your F
  4. Oct 9, 2007 #3
    so tht means tension will b 9000N (up) and F_g will me 29400N (down)? also is the rest of the solution (including direction) right?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?