Tension in string - hanging block

In summary, the tension in string 1 is found by setting the y-component of string 2's tension equal to the weight of the block and the x-component equal to the tension of string 1. Using the equations, the tension in string 1 is found to be approximately 23 N, which is different from the solution manual's answer of 34 N. However, after correcting for a mistake in units, it is confirmed that the calculated tension is correct.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find the tension in string 1
hangingmass.GIF

I don't get the same answer as the solution manual.

My attempt:
The y-component of string 2’s tension must equal the weight of the block.
The x-component of string 2’s tension must equal the tension of string 1.
T1=T2x=T2y/tanθ =23°

solution manual says 34 N.

Physics news on Phys.org
tony873004 said:
My attempt:
The y-component of string 2’s tension must equal the weight of the block.
The x-component of string 2’s tension must equal the tension of string 1.
Good.
T1=T2x=T2y/tanθ =23°
Not sure what you did here (better to write the equations step by step), but I think you found that the tension in string 1 is about 23 N (not degrees!). Sounds right to me.

solution manual says 34 N.
I'd say that was wrong.

Doc Al said:
...Not sure what you did here (better to write the equations step by step).

tanθ=opposite/adjacent
tanθ=T2y/T2x
tanθ=mg/T2x
T2x=T1=mg/tanθ = 23 N (oops,not degrees!)

Thanks Doc Al! Just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy!

tony873004 said:
tanθ=opposite/adjacent
tanθ=T2y/T2x
tanθ=mg/T2x
T2x=T1=mg/tanθ = 23 N (oops,not degrees!)
Much better.

Thanks Doc Al! Just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy!
You are welcome.

As a scientist, it is important to carefully analyze the problem and the solution to ensure accuracy and understanding. It is possible that there may be a mistake in the solution manual, or in your calculations. I would recommend double-checking your calculations and also considering any assumptions or simplifications that may have been made in the solution manual. It is also important to consider the units used in the solution manual and ensure they are consistent with the given information. If you are still unsure, it may be helpful to seek guidance from a teacher or peer to review your approach and calculations.

Related to Tension in string - hanging block

1. What is tension in a string?

Tension in a string refers to the pulling force exerted on the string due to the weight of an object or other external forces acting on it.

2. How is tension calculated in a hanging block scenario?

In a hanging block scenario, tension can be calculated using the equation T = mg, where T is the tension force, m is the mass of the hanging block, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What factors affect the tension in a string?

The tension in a string is affected by the weight of the object attached to it, the length and thickness of the string, and any external forces acting on the string.

4. What happens to the tension in a string if the weight of the hanging block is increased?

If the weight of the hanging block is increased, the tension in the string will also increase, as the string has to support a greater weight.

5. Can the tension in a string ever be greater than the weight of the hanging block?

No, the tension in a string can never be greater than the weight of the hanging block. The string can only support the weight of the block and exert an equal and opposite tension force to keep it in equilibrium.