1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension / Kinetic Friction Help

1. Aug 12, 2008 #1
    Tension / Kinetic Friction Help!!

Please help me.. i cant figure out how to solve this problems..

* A taboggan slides down a hill and has a constant velocity. The angle of the hill is 8.00 degrees with respect to the horizontal. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction between the surface of the hill and the taboggan?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2008 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

4. Aug 12, 2008 #3
    Re: Tension / Kinetic Friction Help!!

i dont really know how to solve this problem.. im sorry, i dont know its significance..

5. Aug 12, 2008 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Re: Tension / Kinetic Friction Help!!

When a force is applied to a mass, the mass accelerates.

When forces are balanced, e.g. if the force of gravity is balanced equally by the friction force, the net force is zero, which means that there is no acceleration, so the mass moves at 'constant velocity'. So on the incline the component of the force of gravity parallel to the surface of the incline is equal to the friction force, which is acting in the opposite direction.

Please refer to the Hyperphysics reference and the application of Newton's law to a mass on an incline.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?