Calculating Tension in a Telephone Wire: Physics Problem Help

In summary: Also the tension in the wire will be in the same direction as the vector sum of the weight and the distance from the center of the Earth.
sisigsarap
I am having a little difficulty with a physics problem, hopefully someone can help!

Q. The distance between two telephone poles is 50.0m. When a 1.00kg bird lands on the telephone wire midway between the poles, the wire sags .200m. Ignore the weight of the wire.

Using the data given I used 25.0m and .200m as legs of a right triangle and solved for the hypotenuse which I found to be 25.0007999. Then I found the angles that made up that triangle.

Then I did the sum of Force x = T1 sin89.54 + T2sign89.54 = 0
and the sum of Force y = -T1cos89.54 + -T2cos89.54 = 9.8
Then solving for T2 I get approximately 610 N as well as 610 N for T1. So a net Force Y of -9.8.

What am i doing wrong? I know the answer is 613 N, but I am lost.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually

[tex] \tan\theta = \frac{0.2}{25} = 0.458^o [/tex]

Also i notice on your Y-axis analysis you should have

[tex] T_{1}sin(0.458) + T_{2}sin(0.458) = mg [/tex]

and on your x-axis

[tex] T_{1}cos(0.458) = T_{2}cos(0.458) [/tex]

Hint: Tensions are equal!

Last edited:
venom, what program do u use to typ in the math symbols? how can i do that so I can type things easier?

CinderBlockFist said:
venom, what program do u use to typ in the math symbols? how can i do that so I can type things easier?

The program is called LaTeX, and this forum has it integrated.

Check this link
https://www.physicsforums.com/misc/howtolatex.pdf

Thank you for your help Cyclovenom! I was able to get the correct answer using the information you gave me.

I do have 1 other question though,
In the work I did, I was using T1 Cos 89.54 + T2cos 89.54 = 9.8
This should give the same answer I would think, however it gives 610 N rather than the 613 N. Why is there a difference?

To get the angle of 89.54 I simply did ArcTan 25/.2

Thanks again,
Joshua

sisigsarap said:
Thank you for your help Cyclovenom! I was able to get the correct answer using the information you gave me.

I do have 1 other question though,
In the work I did, I was using T1 Cos 89.54 + T2cos 89.54 = 9.8
This should give the same answer I would think, however it gives 610 N rather than the 613 N. Why is there a difference?

To get the angle of 89.54 I simply did ArcTan 25/.2

Thanks again,
Joshua

Well if you see the triangle actually the oposite side will be 0.2 and the adjacent side will be 25 m.

so the x-component of a tension like T will hace been Tcos(angle) and the Y component Tsin(angle), also weight points directly to the center of the Earth, so it will be pointing down the bird while the tensions point in the direction of the wire, so the y-components of the tensions will relate with weight in the equation above. Remember we are considering equilibrium situation.

Also Imagine you put a coordinate system with origin in the bird's location. You can brind the angle you found between the space the straight line and x-axis make, that is a geometry postulate very useful, If i remember correctly it was altenate inner angles are equal.

What is tension of a wire?

Tension of a wire refers to the amount of force or pull applied to a wire in order to keep it taut and prevent it from sagging or breaking.

How is tension of a wire measured?

Tension is typically measured in units of force, such as newtons or pounds. It can be measured using a variety of instruments such as a spring scale or a tension meter.

What factors affect the tension of a wire?

The tension of a wire is affected by several factors including the type and thickness of the wire, the weight and load it is supporting, and the force applied to keep it taut.

Why is tension important in wire applications?

Tension is important in wire applications because it ensures that the wire is able to withstand the forces and loads placed upon it without breaking or becoming too slack.

How can tension of a wire be adjusted?

Tension of a wire can be adjusted by either increasing or decreasing the force applied to the wire, or by changing the weight or load placed on the wire.