Tension required to heal a fractured tibia

• Thread starter flip290
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, in order for a fractured tibia to heal properly, it must be held horizontal and under tension. A variation of the Russell traction apparatus can be used for this purpose. The weight of the lower leg and foot of a patient is 48.5N, which must be supported by the traction apparatus. To determine the mass of W, shown in the figure, one must consider pulley systems and the concentration of forces.
flip290

Homework Statement

While a fractured tibia (the larger of the two major lower leg bones in mammals) is healing, it must be held horizontal and kept under some tension so that the bones will heal properly to prevent a permanent limp. One way to do this is to support the leg by using a variation of the Russell traction apparatus. (See the figure) The lower leg (including the foot) of a particular patient weighs 48.5N , all of which must be supported by the traction apparatus.
What must be the mass of W, shown in the figure?
What traction force does the apparatus provide along the direction of the leg?

2n695s1.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I have drawn a free body diagram for the weight but other than that I am LOST. It's the only question I have left to do and I've looked over it many time but nothing is clicking. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Choosing the weight as your system won't be very helpful. The end result you desire is the value of the weight but choosing it as your system will lead to no useful information in the larger scope of the problem. Can you think of what you know about pulleys and the concentration of forces in the problem to choose the best system?

BTW: I hope this problem isn't true or I may be permanently limping when I heal up!

1. What is the tension required to heal a fractured tibia?

The tension required to heal a fractured tibia varies depending on the severity of the fracture, the age and overall health of the patient, and the treatment plan chosen by the doctor. In general, it is recommended to keep the tension on the fractured bone below 20% of its ultimate strength to avoid re-fracturing.

2. How does tension affect the healing process of a fractured tibia?

Tension plays a crucial role in the healing process of a fractured tibia. Too much tension can cause the fracture to re-open or delay healing, while too little tension can lead to poor bone alignment and slower healing. It is important to find the right balance of tension to promote proper healing.

3. Can tension be controlled during the healing of a fractured tibia?

Yes, tension can be controlled during the healing of a fractured tibia through various methods such as casting, bracing, or surgery. These methods help to immobilize the bone and keep the tension at a safe level for proper healing.

4. How long does it take for a fractured tibia to heal with the right tension?

The healing time for a fractured tibia can vary depending on the individual and the severity of the fracture. However, with the right tension and proper treatment, it can take anywhere from 6-12 weeks for the bone to heal completely.

5. Are there any risks associated with maintaining tension on a fractured tibia?

Yes, there are some risks associated with maintaining tension on a fractured tibia. If the tension is too high, it can lead to re-fracturing or delayed healing. On the other hand, if the tension is too low, it can result in poor bone alignment and longer healing time. It is important to closely monitor the tension and make adjustments as needed to minimize these risks.