Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tensor equation in Dirac's 1975 book

1. Sep 17, 2013 #1
    Dirac has equation 3.4 as:

x[itex]^{\lambda}_{,\mu}[/itex]x[itex]^{\mu}_{,\nu}[/itex]=g[itex]^{\lambda}_{\nu}[/itex]

Shouldn't that have a 4 on the right side?

x[itex]^{\lambda}_{,\mu}[/itex]x[itex]^{\mu}_{,\nu}[/itex]=(4?)g[itex]^{\lambda}_{\nu}[/itex]

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2013 #2
    Nope. let me open the expression for you

[itex]\Sigma _ \mu \frac{\partial x^ \lambda}{\partial x ^ \mu} \frac{\partial x^ \mu}{\partial x ^ \nu}=\delta ^ \lambda _ \nu = g ^ \lambda _ \nu [/itex]

4. Sep 17, 2013 #3
    Let me open it some more

[itex]
    \Sigma _ \mu \frac{\partial x^ \lambda}{\partial x ^ \mu} \frac{\partial x^ \mu}{\partial x ^ \nu}=\Sigma _ \mu \delta ^ \lambda _ \mu \delta ^ \mu _ \nu =\delta ^ \lambda _ \nu = g ^ \lambda _ \nu [/itex]

5. Sep 17, 2013 #4
    ? Wouldn't the first term, for example, be:

[itex]\frac{\partial x^{0}}{\partial x^{0'}}[/itex][itex]\frac{\partial x^{0'}}{\partial x^{0}}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{\partial x^{0}}{\partial x^{1'}}[/itex][itex]\frac{\partial x^{1'}}{\partial x^{0}}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{\partial x^{0}}{\partial x^{2'}}[/itex][itex]\frac{\partial x^{2'}}{\partial x^{0}}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{\partial x^{0}}{\partial x^{3'}}[/itex][itex]\frac{\partial x^{3'}}{\partial x^{0}}[/itex]=4?

And all the off-diagonals be 0 of course.

6. Sep 17, 2013 #5

Bill_K

Science Advisor

Consider the special case of the identity transformation, where all the new coordinates are the same as the old ones. That is, x0' = x0, x1' = x1, x2' = x2, and x3' = x3. Plug this into your equation, and I think you'll see that the result is 1, not 4.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook