Tensor of Inertia: Investigating a Puzzling Physics Problem

Therefore, while the products of inertia do play a role in the overall dynamics of rigid bodies, they do not affect the equations of motion derived from the principle of conservation of angular momentum. In summary, the products of inertia remain unchanged to first order for small angular displacements about the principal axes, but this is not reflected in the derivation of Euler's equations due to the principles used in deriving them.
ralqs
This is a page from my textbook: http://tinypic.com/r/wbq4k9/7

It says that the products of inertia are unchanged to first order...but they clearly aren't! This is important, because the authors return to this idea repeatedly: that the tensor of inertia remains unchanged to first order for small angular displacements about the principal axes.

Consider: http://tinypic.com/r/b4g3s9/7

This is the author's derivation of Euler's equations. I would think that there should be a contribution from the product of inertia, but there apparently isn't.

So who's wrong: me, or the authors (along with, apparently, Euler and most of the physics community)? I suspect I know, but I can't find any fault with my logic.

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer here is that the authors and Euler are not wrong. The products of inertia do remain unchanged to first order for small angular displacements about the principal axes, but the derivation of Euler's equations does not account for those changes. This is because Euler's equations are derived using the principle of conservation of angular momentum, which does not depend on the products of inertia.

Related to Tensor of Inertia: Investigating a Puzzling Physics Problem

1. What is a tensor of inertia?

A tensor of inertia is a mathematical representation of the distribution of mass in a rigid body. It describes how the mass is distributed in relation to the axis of rotation, and it is used to calculate the moment of inertia for a body in rotational motion.

2. Why is the tensor of inertia considered a "puzzling" physics problem?

The tensor of inertia is considered "puzzling" because it can be difficult to intuitively understand and visualize. It involves complex mathematical concepts and can be challenging to calculate for irregularly shaped objects. Additionally, there are different conventions for defining the tensor of inertia, which can lead to confusion and discrepancies in results.

3. How is the tensor of inertia used in physics?

The tensor of inertia is used to calculate the moment of inertia, which is an important quantity in rotational dynamics. It is also used in other areas of physics, such as fluid dynamics and solid mechanics, to describe the behavior of rotating objects.

4. What factors affect the tensor of inertia?

The tensor of inertia is affected by the mass and shape of an object, as well as its orientation and the axis of rotation. The distribution of mass within the object also plays a role in determining the tensor of inertia.

5. How can the tensor of inertia be calculated?

The tensor of inertia can be calculated using mathematical formulas and equations, such as the parallel axis theorem and the perpendicular axis theorem. It can also be determined experimentally through measurements of an object's rotational motion.