Riemann Tensor: Questions & Geometric Interpretation

In summary, the Riemann tensor can be interpreted as the variation of a vector displaced parallel in a closed loop, such as a small rectangle formed by geodesic sides. There are different formulas for calculating this variation, with some authors incorporating a factor of (1/2) using the powerful Stokes' Theorem, while others do not. There is a need for clarification on the justification for these differences and the use of covariant and contravariant symbols.
victorneto
Tensor of Riemann. Geometric interpretation.The Riemann tensor gives the variation of a vector displaced parallel in a closed loop, say a small rectangle formed by geodesic sides, (δa) and δb) first, starting from a vertex A and going to another vertex in the diagonal, B; then starting from the same vertex A and going to B, using the other route. In B, the vector Vi will change to V'i, such that the variation will be given by:

ΔVi = + (δa) (δb) RijklVjUkUl,

where (δa) (δb) is the area of the infinitesimal rectangle, and Uk and Ul are unit vectors tangent to the trajectories. The question I put to discussion and clarification is as follows. 1) Most authors, B.Shultz, Dunsby, Professor H. Fleming (USP, São Paulo, Brazil), among others, make the deduction of the above formula, using the scheme described above and detailing, used in the use of indexes.

2) Other authors, such as Baez, give the above formula as

ΔVi = - (ε) 2 RijklVjUkUl, + (Oε3)

(Certainly incorporates in (Oε3) the approximations for the 1st order that does, in several phases of the calculations).

But Landau, in Theory of the Field, formula (91.5), p. 342, finds the following expression:

ΔVi = - (1/2) RijklVjUkUl, Δfkl,

where Δfkl is the infinitesimal area bounded by the two paths; that is, represents the product (δa) (δb) UkUl

(In some formulas the sign (-) appears in other o (+), without further explanation.)

The formula ΔVi = - (1/2) RijklVjUkUl, Vj Δfkl,

obtained by Landau incorporates the factor (1/2), was obtained using the powerful Stokes! Theorem, which gives definite and definitive results, while the previously commented formulas were obtained in a geometric tour de force, step by step, and where it does not appear in the final result, said factor (1/2).

I checked all the calculations (that is, I have refined all, to convince myself, and, from the point of view of mathematical procedure, I found nothing to justify the absence of the factor (1/2) obtained through Stokes; it is necessary, as I said above, to make numerous approximations throughout the deductions ...).

But, objectively, I have doubts. I have not found out yet what lies behind these results, or what justifies them, against Landau. And I also understand that the signal that precedes the expressions should not be mere conventions, but the result of the difference between vectors against and covariates. If covariant, (+), if contravariant, (-).

Could you clarify?

Physics news on Phys.org
.I request the special finesse of moving the post Tensor of Riemann - Geometric interpretation to the forum Differential Geometriy.

Muito grato.

What is the Riemann tensor?

The Riemann tensor, also known as the Riemann curvature tensor, is a mathematical object used in the study of curved spaces and their geometry. It describes how the curvature of a space changes from one point to another.

What is the geometric interpretation of the Riemann tensor?

The Riemann tensor can be interpreted as a measure of the curvature of a space at a specific point. It describes how much the space is curved and in what direction.

How is the Riemann tensor calculated?

The Riemann tensor is calculated using the Christoffel symbols, which are derived from the metric tensor. The metric tensor describes the distance between points in a space and is used to calculate the curvature at a specific point.

What does a non-zero Riemann tensor indicate?

A non-zero Riemann tensor indicates that the space is curved. The magnitude and direction of the tensor indicate the amount and type of curvature at a specific point.

What are some applications of the Riemann tensor?

The Riemann tensor is used in various fields such as general relativity, differential geometry, and theoretical physics. It is also used in the study of black holes, gravitational waves, and other phenomena that involve curved space.