Exploring the Tent-Map: Fixed Points & Stability

I think you are on the right track for part b). As for part c), it is asking you to explain why all of the periodic orbits (including the ones you found in part b)) must be unstable. You can explain this by looking at the function g(x) and considering what happens as you iterate it.
squenshl

Homework Statement

The "tent-map" is given by: xn+1 = g(xn) where g(x) = 2x if 0 <= x<= 1/2 and g(x) = 2-2x if 1/2 < x <= 1
a) Find the fixed points and their stability. Draw a cobweb plot of the tent map to demonstrate that your stability calculations are correct.
b) Find a period-2 orbit, and compute its stability.
c) It can be shown that the tent-map has period-n orbits for all n [itex]\in[/itex] N. Without doing any calculations explain why all of these periodic orbits must be unstable.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Done a). Got x = 0 and x = 2/3, both unstable and this is shown in the cobweb plot.
For b) I do xn+2 = xn and got 4 period-2 points, x = 0, x = 2/3, x = 4/7, x = 2/7, but I don't think these are right and how do you compute stability for these.
For c) Not too sure what they are asking here, it's not som obvious to me.
Any help on b) and c) would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your period 2 points are correct.
Now, how did you define stability for such a points?

Is it just the same in as in part a)?

I now get x = 0, 2/3, 2/5 and 4/5 as my period-2 orbits.

1. What is the Tent-Map and why is it important in scientific research?

The Tent-Map is a mathematical function that maps a set of real numbers onto itself. It is important in scientific research because it can be used to model a wide range of natural phenomena, such as population growth, climate patterns, and chaotic systems.

2. What are fixed points in the Tent-Map?

Fixed points in the Tent-Map are values that do not change when the function is applied iteratively. In other words, when the input and output are the same, the point is considered fixed.

3. How do you determine the stability of fixed points in the Tent-Map?

The stability of fixed points in the Tent-Map can be determined by examining the slope of the function at the fixed point. If the slope is less than 1, the fixed point is stable; if the slope is greater than 1, the fixed point is unstable.

4. Can the Tent-Map exhibit chaotic behavior?

Yes, the Tent-Map can exhibit chaotic behavior, especially when the parameter values are chosen in a certain range. This chaotic behavior can be seen in the unpredictable and non-repeating patterns that emerge when the function is iterated.

5. How is the Tent-Map used in real-world applications?

The Tent-Map has been used in a variety of real-world applications, including modeling the spread of infectious diseases, predicting financial market fluctuations, and studying climate change. It has also been used in data compression and encryption algorithms.