Question: How does mass affect terminal velocity when a drag force is present?

In summary, the person with more mass will attain a higher terminal velocity because they have a greater weight, which requires more drag force to reach terminal velocity. Additionally, shape also plays a role in determining terminal velocity.
Nubcake
If two people of different masses say 50kg and 100kg were to suddenly jump off a building , why would the person with more mass attain a higher terminal velocity? I thought mass was irrelevant. I missed 1 lesson on this in class but this part I don't understand properly. If they were the same shape would the person with mass 100kg still have a greater terminal velocity?

Edit: A object reaches terminal velocity when the drag force is equal to the weight of the object; so am I right to say that W=mg comes into this and the person with more mass has more weight so more drag is needed to reach terminal velocity?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nubcake said:
A object reaches terminal velocity when the drag force is equal to the weight of the object; so am I right to say that W=mg comes into this and the person with more mass has more weight so more drag is needed to reach terminal velocity?

Weight is certainly a big determinant of terminal velocity. Think how fast an air-filled balloon reaches t.v. (and how slow it is) compared with a bowling ball of same size. Shape is also a factor: a teardrop-shaped object vs a parachute-shaped object of the same mass will have different terminal velocities.

Nubcake said:
If two people of different masses say 50kg and 100kg were to suddenly jump off a building , why would the person with more mass attain a higher terminal velocity? I thought mass was irrelevant. I missed 1 lesson on this in class but this part I don't understand properly. If they were the same shape would the person with mass 100kg still have a greater terminal velocity?

Edit: A object reaches terminal velocity when the drag force is equal to the weight of the object; so am I right to say that W=mg comes into this and the person with more mass has more weight so more drag is needed to reach terminal velocity?

Mass is only irrelevant if the only force is gravity. When a drag force is also present, unless the drag force is directly proportional to mass, the terminal velocity will depend on mass.

1. What is terminal velocity?

Terminal velocity is the maximum velocity that an object can reach when falling through a fluid, such as air or water. At this point, the object is no longer accelerating and is moving at a constant speed due to the balance of gravitational and air resistance forces.

2. How is terminal velocity affected by mass?

The mass of an object does not directly affect the terminal velocity. However, a heavier object will experience a greater gravitational force and therefore require a higher amount of air resistance to reach terminal velocity compared to a lighter object.

3. What factors affect the rate of descent for an object?

The rate of descent for an object is affected by its mass, surface area, and air resistance. Objects with a larger surface area experience more air resistance and therefore have a slower rate of descent. Additionally, the density and viscosity of the fluid also play a role in the rate of descent.

4. How can terminal velocity be calculated?

The formula for calculating terminal velocity is v = √(2mg/ρAC), where v is the terminal velocity, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, ρ is the density of the fluid, A is the projected area of the object, and C is the drag coefficient.

5. Can terminal velocity be exceeded?

In most cases, terminal velocity cannot be exceeded. However, in certain situations such as in a vacuum or when an object is falling at a high altitude, the air resistance may be significantly reduced and the object may exceed its terminal velocity.