Origin of Pilot Term "Balls-to-the-Wall

In summary, the phrase "balls-to-the-wall" is a common aviation term used to indicate a maximum effort or full throttle. It has no sexual connotations and is derived from the spherical knobs on the throttle, mixture, and propeller controls in WWII aircraft. Some people may find it offensive, but it is simply a term used to describe giving one's all.
Danger
Gold Member
Most of my friends, both on PF and in person, are accustomed to me using the phrase "balls-to-the-wall" to indicate a flat-out effort. It never occurred to me, until someone (in person) mentioned it earlier today, that it might be deemed offensive by some.
I want to explain that there is no reference to genitalia implied. It's pilot terminology dating back to WWII.
The throttle(s), mixture controls, and propellor pitch controls of almost all fighter and bomber aircraft resided on a pedestal. They were usually on a left-hand "quadrant" in a fighter or centrally in a bomber (so the co-pilot had equal access). The tops of the levers were spherical knobs referred to as "balls". The max setting for all of them was to the top of the slots, as close as possible to the firewall between the cockpit and the engine compartment. The throttle part should be self-explanatory, but I will explain for the benefit of ground-hogs that the mixture leans out or enriches the air:fuel ratio going through the carb. Flattening the pitch of the propellors is akin to downshifting a car to get that extra kick in the ***.
So, basically, the term "balls-to-the-wall" translates as "firewall everything and hang onto your hat".
If my usage of the phrase has offended anyone in the past, I offer my profound apologies. It just never occurred to me that it would be taken out of context, but on the other hand most readers of this are very young and/or non-pilots. I'll just have to get used to that fact and adjust my posts accordingly.

Physics news on Phys.org
I always understood it to refer to the weighted balls of a mechanical governor in rotating equipment ("balls out" would be more applicable to the governor, although until just now I considered them equivalent). Very interesting.

I've been chastised plenty of times for using either expression. Depending on who it comes from I will either explain it or ignore it completely.

So to be technically correct, we have to say "knobs-to-the-firewall", or "knobs-to-the-bulkhead"?

Yeah-yeah.
Yet another engineer shouting on the top of his voice that "thrust", "screw", "balls-to-the-wall" and suchlike have no sexual connotations whatsoever.

You don't impress me much..

I have been a woodworker off and on all my life and in 2006 I learned that I need to be careful how I make conversation in the area of asking about wood, different generations change the meaning of words and if your out of touch you can get a redface.

arildno said:
Yeah-yeah.
Yet another engineer shouting on the top of his voice that "thrust", "screw", "balls-to-the-wall" and suchlike have no sexual connotations whatsoever.

You don't impress me much..

Give me your address. I can't slap you through the computer, so I'll have to mail it to you.

SH, I've always wondered about the term "balls-out" because it didn't seem like a derivation of the aircraft terminology. It makes perfect sense in regard to a flyball governor. Thank you.

Now, do we have to mention that the term "cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey" refers to cannon ammunition? :biggrin:

edit: By the bye, Arildno... that was probably the worst Shania Twain impression I've ever heard.

Last edited:
Danger said:
Give me your address. I can't slap you through the computer, so I'll have to mail it to you.
I agree. "Balls to the wall" is just the aviation equivalent of "pedal to the metal", or in this day and age "pedal to the carpet". There's nothing sexual about it...unless you're intentionally interpreting it that way...which I think is silly.

Lancelot59 said:
There's nothing sexual about it...unless you're intentionally interpreting it that way...which I think is silly.

Well, it sounded a bit S&M-like, dungeon type of stuff.

I don't think such is silly, but rather scary...

Danger said:
Now, do we have to mention that the term "cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey" refers to cannon ammunition? :biggrin:

The :biggrin: means that you know that this is false, yes?

From Wikipedia:

It is often stated that the phrase originated from the use of a brass tray, called a "monkey", to hold cannonballs on warships in the 16th to 18th centuries. Supposedly, in very cold temperatures the "monkey" would contract, causing the balls to fall off.

It seems to make sense.

Last edited:
Sometimes it's just easier to avoid saying certain things because people will make assumptions that they assume are correct and it's too much of a hassle to explain it. 'Balls to the wall' doesn't sound too bad, but I accept that I'll probably never be able to say "niggardly".

leroyjenkens said:
Sometimes it's just easier to avoid saying certain things because people will make assumptions that they assume are correct and it's too much of a hassle to explain it. 'Balls to the wall' doesn't sound too bad, but I accept that I'll probably never be able to say "niggardly".

Fair enough, but for some it's just natural habit because of the time/conditions they lived in. The meaning of words and phrases change over time.

I actually didn't know about the etymology of this idiom. Thanks for explaining.

arildno said:
Well, it sounded a bit S&M-like, dungeon type of stuff.

:rofl:

Well Danger I've never heard this expression before your post and it was hard on the eyes until you explained it. So thanks for the explanation, because if someone used it when speaking to me I would've thought them to be a bit fresh and crude!

Lancelot59 said:
I agree. "Balls to the wall" is just the aviation equivalent of "pedal to the metal", or in this day and age "pedal to the carpet". There's nothing sexual about it...unless you're intentionally interpreting it that way...which I think is silly.

Arildno has a somewhat peculiar sense of humour that takes some getting used to. He was joking, and I responded in kind. (You can test this for yourself; just see how much his eyes bug out if you call him a Norweed.)
CRG (I'm too lazy to type out your whole bloody name)... Lancelot... I'm unfamiliar with the reference to naval ammo. The story always used to involve small wheeled ammo carts in use during the US civil war. In any event, the story was shown several years ago to be inaccurate. The true origin of the phrase is still a mystery.
I sure as hell like saying it, though, particularly since I live in Alberta. I like to sneak into it, though. Several times I've stumbled into a bar, covered in snow, and told the nearest person that I'd just been trampled by a flock of brass monkeys running for shelter. That is usually greeted with a puzzled stare, whereupon I elaborate with "you are familiar, are you not, with the phrase 'cold enough to freeze... etc.' About 10% of the time, that earns me a chuckle, and that's good enough for me. (I have very low standards.)
I think that Monique is PF's most gifted resident expert in linguistics. Perhaps she can impart some education regarding the phrase.

Last edited:
Danger said:
Arildno has a somewhat peculiar sense of humour that takes some getting used to. He was joking, and I responded in kind. (You can test this for yourself; just see how much his eyes bug out if you call him a Norweed.)
I'll have to try that sometime.

Danger said:
particularly since I live in Alberta.
Well howdy neighbour!

Lancelot59 said:
Well howdy neighbour!

:bugeye: So where are you? If you're a Yank and call me "neighbour" you must be in Montana, North Dakota, or the narrow bit of Idaho. (Oh, crap... I just noticed that you spelled "neighbour" correctly, so you must be a fellow Canuk.)

Astronuc said:
So to be technically correct, we have to say "knobs-to-the-firewall", or "knobs-to-the-bulkhead"?

Technically, yes... but those just don't resonate satisfactorily. There's a poetic fluidity to the English language, and those phrases don't quite fit in. They're accurate, but somehow disappointing.

Danger said:
:bugeye: So where are you? If you're a Yank and call me "neighbour" you must be in Montana, North Dakota, or the narrow bit of Idaho. (Oh, crap... I just noticed that you spelled "neighbor" incorrectly, so you must be a fellow Canuk.)

I fixed it for you.

:tongue:

Lancelot59 said:
I'll have to try that sometime.

Norweedish works too.

Danger said:
Full flaps, dammit! That's a tennis court!

I just realized the true meaning of this and burst into laughter for about 30 seconds. It was amazing.

Char. Limit said:
I just realized the true meaning of this and burst into laughter for about 30 seconds. It was amazing.

Thanks. I like to put a fairly lengthy fuse on most of my jokes. It's usually best if I'm no longer in the vicinity when they go off. :biggrin:

Danger said:
Thanks. I like to put a fairly lengthy fuse on most of my jokes. It's usually best if I'm no longer in the vicinity when they go off. :biggrin:

:rofl:

(You can test this for yourself; just see how much his eyes bug out if you call him a Norweed.)

Do NOT do that! :bugeye:

lisab said:
Norweedish works too.

:bugeye:

See? Told ya. The dude builds up enough intraoccular pressure to put the Shuttle into orbit.

Okay... there must be somewhere around here where I can hide...

Danger said:
See? Told ya. The dude builds up enough intraoccular pressure to put the Shuttle into orbit.
Nope, I wear protective glasses.
Okay... there must be somewhere around here where I can hide...
I didn't see this at first...:frown:

arildno said:
I didn't see this at first...:frown:

So it worked.

This reminds me of someone saying "It's just lame to use 'gay' for lame things!", ahaha, I trust we all know what 'lame' technically means?

There's semantic drift, 'dumb' technically means being unable to speak and so on. Especially because "gay" itself was a semantic drift from 'happy' it's so quaint to criticize its usage in that fashion.

"gay" meant "merry", rather than "happy", and in the 18th-19th century, "gay women" was a euphemism for prostitutes.

Thus, "gay" has a long history signifying "looseness",particularly with regard to festive mood/sexuality, with "gay cat" being a term used on effeminate young men in the 1920's or so.

Danger said:
:bugeye: So where are you? If you're a Yank and call me "neighbour" you must be in Montana, North Dakota, or the narrow bit of Idaho. (Oh, crap... I just noticed that you spelled "neighbour" correctly, so you must be a fellow Canuk.)

Indeed I am. Hello from B.C.!

I found an interesting fact about the word "harlot" on dictionary.com.
The word harlot nowadays refers to a particular kind of woman, but interestingly it used to refer to a particular kind of man. The word is first recorded in English in a work written around the beginning of the 13th century, meaning "a man of no fixed occupation, vagabond, beggar," and soon afterwards meant "male lecher." Already in the 14th century it appears as a deprecatory word for a woman, though exactly how this meaning developed from the male sense is not clear. For a time the word could also refer to a juggler or jester of either sex, but by the close of the 17th century its usage referring to males had disappeared.

Thanks for ruining that for me Dan Man. ;-p

And "powder monkey" referred to the negros. "Brass monkey" is a potent kinda drink.
Arildno said:
"gay" meant "merry", rather than "happy", and in the 18th-19th century, "gay women" was a euphemism for prostitutes.

Thus, "gay" has a long history signifying "looseness",particularly with regard to festive mood/sexuality, with "gay cat" being a term used on effeminate young men in the 1920's or so.

Funny enough my friends and I refer to each other as bundles of sticks all the time.Certain words just cease to really mean much of anything except a stupid immature joke when you through them around like confetti at a parade. I patiently wait for the day that any person will laugh, or simply roll their eyes, at any generally asterisked word.

1. What is the origin of the term "balls-to-the-wall"?

The term "balls-to-the-wall" originated in the aviation industry, specifically among pilots. It refers to the throttle controls in an aircraft, which are shaped like balls on the end of levers. When a pilot pushes the levers all the way forward, the balls (or throttles) are pushed against the wall of the cockpit, indicating maximum speed or power.

2. When was the term "balls-to-the-wall" first used?

The exact date of the first use of the term is unknown, but it is believed to have originated in the early 20th century among military pilots. It became more widely used in the 1960s and 1970s during the Vietnam War.

3. Is "balls-to-the-wall" only used in aviation?

No, the term has since been adopted in other industries and contexts, such as sports, music, and business. However, its origins can be traced back to aviation.

4. What is the significance of using "balls" in the term?

The use of the word "balls" in the term is believed to be a reference to the testicles of a male pilot, symbolizing courage, strength, and determination. It may also be a nod to the physical act of pushing the throttle levers all the way forward.

5. Has the meaning of "balls-to-the-wall" changed over time?

Yes, the term has evolved from its literal meaning of pushing the throttle levers to the maximum position, to a more figurative meaning of giving something one's all or going all out. It is now often used to describe a high level of intensity, speed, or effort in any given situation.