Improve Your Test Preparation with Expert Help - Math Questions Solved

• Thread starter Prents
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test
In summary, the conversation discusses a self-taught program and a review that has been found to be helpful for the upcoming test. The individual is stuck on several questions and is seeking help, specifically for finding the equation of the reciprocal function and the exact value of sin(a+b). They mention that the angle a is in quadrant 4 and b is in quadrant 2, and provide some steps and an answer for finding sin(a+b). They also ask for any additional resources that could be helpful.
Prents
I'm currently working through a self taught program, coming up to my first test and have found a review that works well for what I need, I'm stuck on several questions and any help you can provide on any of them will greatly help!

1. Consider the function: y = x^2 - 2x - 8
a) State the equation of the reciprocal function
b) Write the equation of the vertical asymptotes (I find this to be a parabola which can't have asymptotes which is my struggle)

2. If "a" is an angle in Quadrant 4 where cos a = 4/5, and "b" in an angle with sinb= 12/13 where 90 degrees< b < 180 degrees.
a) What is the exact value of sin(a+b)?

Any help you can provide or links to pages or videos will greatly help! Thank you!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
2a:

Expanding sin(a+b) gives sin(a)cos(b) + cos(a)sin(b). So we need to find cos(b) and sin(a).

Since angle a is in quadrant 4, sin(a) is negative. So it is [itex]-\sqrt{1 - \left(\frac{4}{5}\right)^2}[/itex], or -1/5.

Since angle b is in quadrant 2, cos(b) is negative. So it is [itex]-\sqrt{1 - \left(\frac{12}{13}\right)^2}[/itex], or -5/13.

Simplifying sin(a+b) gives [itex]-\frac{1}{5} \cdot -\frac{5}{13} + \frac{4}{5} \cdot \frac{12}{13}[/itex], or [itex]\boxed{\frac{53}{65}}[/itex].

Related to Improve Your Test Preparation with Expert Help - Math Questions Solved

What are some effective study strategies for test preparation?

Some effective study strategies for test preparation include creating a study schedule, breaking down material into smaller chunks, using flashcards, practicing with past exams or study guides, and seeking help from teachers or tutors if needed.

How far in advance should I start preparing for a test?

It is recommended to start preparing for a test at least a week in advance. However, the exact amount of time needed for preparation may vary depending on the difficulty of the test and the amount of material that needs to be covered.

What are some tips for managing test anxiety?

Some tips for managing test anxiety include practicing relaxation techniques such as deep breathing, getting enough sleep the night before the test, eating a healthy breakfast, and staying positive and confident in your abilities.

Should I study alone or with a group for a test?

Whether to study alone or with a group depends on personal preference and learning style. Some people may benefit from discussing material with others, while others may prefer to study alone and at their own pace. It may also be helpful to try a mix of both methods.

What should I do if I am struggling with a particular subject for a test?

If you are struggling with a particular subject for a test, it is important to seek help from your teacher or a tutor. They can provide additional resources and clarify any confusing material. It may also be helpful to form study groups with classmates to review material together.