1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Test Preperation NEED HELP

1. Feb 25, 2012 #1
    I'm currently working through a self taught program, coming up to my first test and have found a review that works well for what I need, I'm stuck on several questions and any help you can provide on any of them will greatly help!

1. Consider the function: y = x^2 - 2x - 8
    a) State the equation of the reciprocal function
    b) Write the equation of the vertical asymptotes (I find this to be a parabola which can't have asymptotes which is my struggle)

2. If "a" is an angle in Quadrant 4 where cos a = 4/5, and "b" in an angle with sinb= 12/13 where 90 degrees< b < 180 degrees.
    a) What is the exact value of sin(a+b)?

Any help you can provide or links to pages or videos will greatly help! Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2012 #2
    2a:

Expanding sin(a+b) gives sin(a)cos(b) + cos(a)sin(b). So we need to find cos(b) and sin(a).

Since angle a is in quadrant 4, sin(a) is negative. So it is [itex]-\sqrt{1 - \left(\frac{4}{5}\right)^2}[/itex], or -1/5.

Since angle b is in quadrant 2, cos(b) is negative. So it is [itex]-\sqrt{1 - \left(\frac{12}{13}\right)^2}[/itex], or -5/13.

Simplifying sin(a+b) gives [itex]-\frac{1}{5} \cdot -\frac{5}{13} + \frac{4}{5} \cdot \frac{12}{13}[/itex], or [itex]\boxed{\frac{53}{65}}[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook