How Can I Improve My Math Test Preparation and Learn to Love Math?

• Thread starter Pathos_Verdes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study
In summary, the conversation discusses ways to make math fun and improve one's study habits for the subject. Suggestions include getting a tutor, taking an Algebra 1 course, finding a subject that involves math as a tool, using visuals, and seeking help from online resources such as Khan Academy and BetterExplained. The conversation also touches on avoiding silly mistakes and the importance of making connections between math and real-life applications.
Pathos_Verdes
Hi guys,
I know this is probably asked frequently but how can I make math fun? I'm in grade 12 in high school and I find math completely unbearable. More importantly how can I study for math? I can apply the formulas with numbers during tests, but when it comes to problem solving questions I draw a blank. Do you guys have any tips on how I can improve on my test preparation, and perhaps even give some advice on how I can grow to like math?

P.S. I do love physics though.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Pathos_Verdes said:
Hi guys,
I know this is probably asked frequently but how can I make math fun? I'm in grade 12 in high school and I find math completely unbearable. More importantly how can I study for math? I can apply the formulas with numbers during tests, but when it comes to problem solving questions I draw a blank. Do you guys have any tips on how I can improve on my test preparation, and perhaps even give some advice on how I can grow to like math?

Get a tutor if you can.
The enthusiasm of a tutor usually rubs off.
And he or she can draw the attention to the things that are fun.

Pathos_Verdes said:
Hi guys,

Your high school Mathematics education needs to include "Algebra 1" as early as possible, BEFORE grade 12. The way you describe your difficulties, you have not yet learned properties of Real Numbers; such properties are taught (usually very clearly) in a good Algebra 1 course.

Pathos_Verdes said:
Hi guys,

Which types of math are you having problems with? Word problems? Calculus?

Some word problems, and just making stupid mistakes. Which I have a lot of trouble avoiding for some reason.
Edit: Mistakes such as putting a positive in front of a number instead of a negative.

Pathos_Verdes said:
Some word problems, and just making stupid mistakes. Which I have a lot of trouble avoiding for some reason.
Edit: Mistakes such as putting a positive in front of a number instead of a negative.

Silly mistakes were something I learned to avoid. After doing an exam and getting my results back, seeing what silly mistakes I did were burnt into my head so that I remembered to never do that again. After enough exams during 2 years of school or so, by the end I was very sufficient at avoiding most stupid mistakes.

I like Serena said:
Get a tutor if you can.

I second this. I used to be a tutor and some kids really enjoyed getting help from me.

I think u should do more tutorials n try to find out where you have mistaken or misunderstood in the same time also can improve your math.:smile:

If you want to like math and don't like the presentation in your courses, I suggest you try to find a subject that will deeply interest you and involves math as a tool. For example, if you are interested in Philosophy or Religion, you might look into "mathematical logic" or "symbolic logic". Logic plays a minor role in such studies, but its good to understand the distinction between something that logical and something that true. Or maybe you like gambling. Study probability theory. It may be easier to begin liking math if you start with some part of it that isn't in your classes.

Pathos_Verdes said:

This is the most common mistake that even the very best struggle with sometimes.
It takes practice and "tricks" to get it under control.

I like Serena said:
Get a tutor if you can.

If you have the access, try that. It works really well if you likes discussion and debate; you can turn math into a philosophical question of life or something.

If not, then try discussing the subject among friends. Again, this works only if you love discussions.

If not, then try using visuals in studying math.

Pathos_Verdes said:

A tutor might be helpful. My daughter had a terrible time with Algebra, but she did quite well in Calculus (which I hate).

Best wishes.

Add to that betterexplained.com and you can see the beauty of mathematics.

Putting the right signs need insights (or damn sharp concentration)

Connecting the real physics with math helps. like, if you have to add two areas above and below the x-axis, maths will give you the difference unless you add the modulus. But physics and common sense can make you add the areas properly..

Insights are what makes math interesting.
I feel nice to know things like, in y=mx+c, the m is the slope, if you increase it, the line'll be steeper. So, Everest will have a high m, but the Gangetic plains will have it 0. And the 'c' means something too.

Similarly, there's a story behind every term, in every equation. Learn them.

1. How can I improve my math skills?

To improve your math skills, it's important to practice regularly. Set aside dedicated study time each day and work on a variety of problems, including ones you find challenging. You can also try using different resources, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice exams.

2. What are some effective study strategies for math?

Some effective study strategies for math include breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts, using real-life examples to understand concepts, and working with a study group or tutor to get additional support. It's also important to take breaks and stay organized to avoid feeling overwhelmed.

3. How can I stay motivated while studying math?

One way to stay motivated while studying math is to set achievable goals for yourself. This could be completing a certain number of practice problems or improving your grade by a specific percentage. Additionally, try to find the joy in solving math problems and celebrate your progress along the way.

4. What resources are available for studying math?

There are many resources available for studying math, such as textbooks, online tutorials, study groups, and tutoring services. Your school or local library may also have resources available for you to use. Additionally, many online resources offer practice problems and explanations for various math concepts.

5. How can I overcome my fear of math?

To overcome your fear of math, it's important to understand that everyone can learn and improve their math skills with practice. Take a growth mindset approach and focus on your progress rather than comparing yourself to others. It may also help to seek support from a teacher, tutor, or study group to address any specific areas of difficulty.