• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Text for Quantum

• Thread starter tenparsecs
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

What are some ideal texts for self-teaching quantum at the undergrad level? The only text I'm vaguely familiar with is the Griffiths Quantum text, but I'm not sure if there exist better ones.

Answers and Replies

The older classics are still good reads:

Quantum Theory - David Bohm

The Principles of Quantum Mechanics - P.A.M Dirac

Very useful addition to any standard text are the problem orientated texts such as Schaum's outline of Quantum Mechanics or Problems and Solutions in Quantum Mechanics - K Tamvakis, A Guide to Physics Problems Part 2

edit: also check out the online video series by Leonard Susskind, there are a series of lectures freely available on youtube covering quantum mechanics and other subjects: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=susskind+lecture&aq=f

Last edited:
There must be a dozen threads on this subject here. It's really been done to death. Try the "Search this forum" drop down there on the right of the thread list.

Shankar is another good choice.

The older classics are still good reads:

Quantum Theory - David Bohm

The Principles of Quantum Mechanics - P.A.M Dirac

Very useful addition to any standard text are the problem orientated texts such as Schaum's outline of Quantum Mechanics or Problems and Solutions in Quantum Mechanics - K Tamvakis, A Guide to Physics Problems Part 2

edit: also check out the online video series by Leonard Susskind, there are a series of lectures freely available on youtube covering quantum mechanics and other subjects: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=susskind+lecture&aq=f
you've got to be kidding me. neither that one nor bohm's book is anywhere near undergrad level.

shankar and griffiths are where it's at

Last edited:
You could also try ballentine.

I went to the library yesterday to search for Zettili (since it was listed as Not Checked Out), but the book wasn't there. I picked up this other book by Scherrer which doesn't seem too bad so far, but I've been unable to find any reviews for it online.