1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Text for Quantum

1. Jun 10, 2010 #1
    What are some ideal texts for self-teaching quantum at the undergrad level? The only text I'm vaguely familiar with is the Griffiths Quantum text, but I'm not sure if there exist better ones.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2010 #2
    The older classics are still good reads:

Quantum Theory - David Bohm

The Principles of Quantum Mechanics - P.A.M Dirac

Very useful addition to any standard text are the problem orientated texts such as Schaum's outline of Quantum Mechanics or Problems and Solutions in Quantum Mechanics - K Tamvakis, A Guide to Physics Problems Part 2

edit: also check out the online video series by Leonard Susskind, there are a series of lectures freely available on youtube covering quantum mechanics and other subjects: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=susskind+lecture&aq=f
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  4. Jun 10, 2010 #3
    There must be a dozen threads on this subject here. It's really been done to death. Try the "Search this forum" drop down there on the right of the thread list.
  5. Jun 10, 2010 #4
    Shankar is another good choice.
  6. Jun 10, 2010 #5
    you've got to be kidding me. neither that one nor bohm's book is anywhere near undergrad level.

shankar and griffiths are where it's at
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  7. Jun 10, 2010 #6
  8. Jun 11, 2010 #7
    You could also try ballentine.
  9. Jun 11, 2010 #8
    I went to the library yesterday to search for Zettili (since it was listed as Not Checked Out), but the book wasn't there. I picked up this other book by Scherrer which doesn't seem too bad so far, but I've been unable to find any reviews for it online.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook