• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Textbook for GRE subject test preparation

• Thread starter rimski
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi,

I'm planning to take the physics GRE subject test in the near future. I have a good undergrad education, so I was recommended to pick up a general physics textbook and to read it completely as a study review.

The question is: what textbook? I know the names of the most common ones (Tipler, Serway, Halliday), but as I never used them in my intro courses, I don't know which one is the best. It must have problems at the level of the GRE test.

Thanks.

Answers and Replies

Hi,

I'm planning to take the physics GRE subject test in the near future. I have a good undergrad education, so I was recommended to pick up a general physics textbook and to read it completely as a study review.

The question is: what textbook? I know the names of the most common ones (Tipler, Serway, Halliday), but as I never used them in my intro courses, I don't know which one is the best. It must have problems at the level of the GRE test.

Thanks.
I would recommend looking at some websites. You can find a practice test on the ETS website. They also explain what is covered in the test ( e.g. 20% classical mechanics, 18% electromagnetism, 9% optics & wave phenomena, etc). There are some threads on here that will help. I remember seeing some that I would revisit later that will be able to help the both of us. If I'm able to find them, I'll come back and post the links to the threads.

QuantumCurt
Education Advisor
If you're interested, there is a https://www.amazon.com/dp/1479274631/?tag=pfamazon01-20 available. It was written by a couple of physics grad students at MIT, and it's only three years old, so the information should be pretty up to date. I don't personally have any experience with it, but I do intend to pick it up in another year or so when I have to start preparing for the GRE.

Last edited by a moderator: