Egg Drop Challenge: Solving the Dilemma with Limited Materials

In summary, the conversation discusses a school project where the students are tasked with dropping an egg from a height using limited materials. The person speaking shares their idea of using paper and tape to create a platform for the egg, but encounters an issue with the tape not sticking to the eggshell. They ask for suggestions on how to solve this problem and receive advice to try different brands of tape and ensure the eggshell is clean before attempting to stick anything on it.
Hookeo

Homework Statement

We all know the egg drop, and I am stuck as to what to do with the extreme little amount of materials we are allowed to use. Here they are:

1 regular supermarket egg
5 sheets of printer paper
1m of scotch tape

We are to drop it once from the ceiling of our classroom(about 13 feet) to the tile floor below. My thought was to make a platform for my egg (using 4 sheets of paper) and folding them into it. When i did that, I tested it with a similar weighted rock from 20 feet on the porch on my house, and it fell nearly perfectly to the ground, so that was a success. Well, my next job in that was to fold tiny, tiny pieces of tape into shock absorber type things, I had to use maybe an inch of tape in the entire platform, so i have quite a bit of tape to work with. When i tried that theory, i stumbled into a problem. Apparently scotch tape and egg do not mix. As in when i tilted it to make sure it stayed on, it rolled out and i luckily caught it. Would anyone help me with my dilemma? I do not know why the egg for one won't stick, so two i can not test the drop. Is it due to the egg being cold, or is it due to the structure of the eggs shell or the tapes sticky stuff?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what it is due to, but I would try different brands of "Scotch" tape and see which sticks better. Masking tape would be a better choice and duct tape even better, but you need to check if these are allowed. I would also make sure that shell is clean. Rubbing it with a bit of alcohol will remove most residues on its surface. Wipe it clean and dry and allow it to reach room temperature before you attempt to stick anything on it to avoid moisture condensation.

I can offer some suggestions to help you solve this dilemma. Firstly, it is important to understand the properties of the materials you are working with. In this case, you have an egg, paper, and scotch tape. Eggs have a hard outer shell and a soft inner membrane, which makes them fragile and prone to breaking when dropped from a height. Paper is a lightweight and flexible material, while scotch tape is sticky and can be used to hold things together.

Based on these properties, here are some possible solutions to your dilemma:

1. Use the paper to create a cushioning layer around the egg. You can crumple the paper into small balls and wrap them around the egg, securing them with tape. This will help absorb the impact of the drop and protect the egg from breaking.

2. Create a protective structure for the egg using the paper and tape. You can use the paper to create a box or cone shape and secure it with tape. Place the egg inside the structure and make sure it is secure. This will provide a buffer between the egg and the floor when it is dropped.

3. Consider using a different type of tape that may have stronger adhesive properties, such as duct tape or masking tape. This may help the egg stick to the structure you have created.

4. Think about the temperature of the egg. Cold temperatures can make the eggshell more brittle and prone to breaking. You can try warming up the egg slightly before the drop to see if it makes a difference.

Overall, it is important to experiment and test different methods to find the best solution. Remember to also consider the safety of those around you when conducting the egg drop challenge. Good luck!

1. What is the Egg Drop Challenge?

The Egg Drop Challenge is a popular science experiment where participants attempt to design and build a contraption that can protect a raw egg from breaking when dropped from a certain height.

2. What materials can be used for the Egg Drop Challenge?

The challenge typically involves using materials that are easily found around the house, such as paper, straws, popsicle sticks, rubber bands, and tape. However, some variations of the challenge may allow for more advanced materials like foam, plastic containers, or balloons.

3. What is the purpose of the Egg Drop Challenge?

The main purpose of the Egg Drop Challenge is to engage participants in the scientific process of problem-solving, critical thinking, and creativity. It also allows for hands-on experimentation with the concepts of gravity, force, and impact.

4. How can one be successful in the Egg Drop Challenge?

To be successful in the Egg Drop Challenge, one must carefully consider the design of their contraption and how it will protect the egg from breaking upon impact. It is also important to test and make modifications to the design before the final drop. Additionally, having a good understanding of the scientific principles involved can also aid in success.

5. What are some tips for solving the Egg Drop Challenge with limited materials?

Some tips for solving the Egg Drop Challenge with limited materials include using simple but sturdy designs, incorporating shock-absorbing materials, and distributing the force of impact evenly. It can also be helpful to brainstorm and test multiple designs before choosing a final one. Lastly, don't be afraid to think outside the box and get creative with the materials you have available.