The angular momentum of a flywheel

In summary, the angular momentum of a flywheel with a rotational inertia of 0.200 kg·m2 decreased from 3.00 to 1.800 kg·m2/s in 1.80 s. To find the average torque in part (a), use the deceleration calculated using angular equation 2. For part (b), use angular equation 6 to find the angle turned. In part (c), use the work equation 4 to find the work done on the wheel. And in part (d), use the power equation 5 to find the average power of the flywheel.
Eggyu
The angular momentum of a flywheel having a rotational inertia of 0.200 kg·m2 about its axis decreases from 3.00 to 1.800 kg·m2/s in 1.80 s.

(a) What is the average torque acting on the flywheel about its central axis during this period?
N·m
(b) Assuming a uniform angular acceleration, through what angle will the flywheel have turned?
rad
(c) How much work was done on the wheel?
J
(d) What is the average power of the flywheel?
W

Basically, all i need is how to find the initial angular velocity for part b. The rest of the variables i have solved for.

Physics news on Phys.org
The angular momentum of a rigid object about a fixed axis is given by

[tex]L = I\omega[/tex]

where [tex]I[/tex] is its moment of inertia bout this axis and [tex]\omega[/tex] is its angular speed about the same axis.

The rotational components and equations are analogous to linear ones.

Equation of motion:

linear:
(1) [tex]x=x_0+vt+\frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]
(2) [tex]v=v_0+at[/tex]
(3) [tex]F=ma[/tex]
(4) [tex]W=Fx[/tex]
(5) [tex]P=Fv[/tex]
(6) [tex]a(x-x_0)=\frac{1}{2}(v^2-v_0^2)[/tex]

angular:

(1) [tex]\phi=\phi_0+\omega t+\frac{1}{2}\alpha t^2[/tex]
(2) [tex]\omega=\omega_0+\alpha t[/tex]
(3) [tex]\tau=I\alpha[/tex]
(4) [tex]W=\tau \phi[/tex]
(5) [tex]P=\tau \omega[/tex]
(6) [tex]\alpha(\phi-\phi_0)=\frac{1}{2}(\omega^2-\omega_0^2)[/tex]

So to find the average torque in part (a), find the deceleration using angular equation 2.

Part (b), use 6.

Part (c), use 4.

Part (d), use 5.

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object around an axis. It is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum related to a flywheel?

A flywheel is a rotating mechanical device that stores angular momentum. As the flywheel spins, its angular momentum increases, and it can transfer this momentum to other parts of a machine.

3. What factors affect the angular momentum of a flywheel?

The angular momentum of a flywheel is affected by its mass, radius, and angular velocity. Increasing any of these factors will result in an increase in angular momentum.

4. How is the angular momentum of a flywheel useful?

The angular momentum of a flywheel is useful in many applications, such as in energy storage systems, gyroscopes, and engines. It helps to maintain a constant rotational speed and can be used to transfer energy between systems.

5. Can the angular momentum of a flywheel be changed?

Yes, the angular momentum of a flywheel can be changed by applying a torque to it. This can be done by adding or removing mass, changing the radius, or altering the angular velocity.