The Ant and The Melon: Exploring Time-Space Theory

• Thread starter B4ssHunter
  • Start date
In summary, his argument is that if the universe is actually just a sheet of fabric, with four people holding it at each vertex, then it should be possible for an ant to move around the sheet at the same speed as a person. However, since time is slower for the ant, the ant would think that the time had slowed down for the person. This idea is known as the principle of equivalence, and it's one of the foundations of general relativity.
B4ssHunter
so i was arguing with a friend of mine , and one moment it just clicked to me that *bare with me my scientific inaccuracies *

what if the universe is just one huge sheet of cloth , with 4 people holding it at each vertex
now imagine a big melon in the middle , of course we all know it would go down and make a curve around it * like what einstein and others said *
now imagine an ant standing right next to the melon ( on the sheet of cloth ) , and ant on the melon itself
now what if the two ants move with the same speed , the one on the melon would cover more distances in less time , while the one on the sheet covers less distances in the same time * i am talking about horizontal distance since the ant can't really see the curve , ants are stupid they don't understand curves ! * , wouldn't the ant think that time has slowed down for the other ant ? because it takes it more time to cover the same distance that the ant on the melon covers ?
i am just trying to understand how time-space thing work by imagining it ..
now this is probably the most cartoonistic way to explain how gravity would affect * if it is even half correct * , i just want to know how correct could that thought be ?

Physics news on Phys.org
B4ssHunter said:
what if the universe is just one huge sheet of cloth , with 4 people holding it at each vertex
now imagine a big melon in the middle , of course we all know it would go down and make a curve around it * like what einstein and others said

You're definitely on the right track when you think about the ant who doesn't know about curvature moving around in a curved spacetime.

However, modeling gravitational curvature as a sheet with a weight in the middle of it is a fairly awful analogy, does more harm than good when you go to study the interesting properties of the spacetime that we live in.

But if it's such a terrible analogy, then why, you might ask, does it keep on getting printed in books and magazine articles and the like? Well, it's really hard to to print a picture of a four-dimensional curved spacetime on a two-dimensional flat piece of paper :smile:

A.T has done some pretty good animations, posted them to this forum, you'll find them if you search some older posts (or you can just look right above this post, because he's way ahead of me).

Related to The Ant and The Melon: Exploring Time-Space Theory

1. What is "The Ant and The Melon: Exploring Time-Space Theory"?

"The Ant and The Melon: Exploring Time-Space Theory" is a scientific theory that explores the concept of time and space as interconnected dimensions. It suggests that time and space are not separate entities, but rather part of the same fabric of the universe.

2. Who came up with the theory?

The theory was first proposed by renowned physicist Albert Einstein in his theory of relativity. However, it has been further developed and expanded upon by many other scientists and researchers in the field of quantum physics.

3. How is this theory different from other theories of time and space?

Unlike other theories that view time and space as separate and absolute, this theory suggests that they are relative and interconnected. It also takes into account the influence of gravity and the curvature of space-time on the flow of time.

4. What evidence supports this theory?

There is a significant amount of evidence that supports this theory, including experiments that have demonstrated the effects of time dilation and gravitational time dilation, as well as the successful predictions made by the theory of relativity.

5. How does this theory impact our understanding of the universe?

This theory has greatly impacted our understanding of the universe by providing a more comprehensive and unified understanding of time and space. It has also led to new discoveries and advancements in fields such as astrophysics and cosmology.