The best EE fundamentals book?

In summary, the EE community was discussing the best fundamentals book for EE/CE that would be a lifetime reference. Some members suggested The National Electrical Code Handbook and The Art of Electronics by Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill. Others mentioned the importance of seeking out additional resources such as IEEE, forums, mentors, and interdisciplinary studies to gain a well-rounded understanding of the field.
SELFMADE
Hello EE community,

What would you consider the best fundamentals book for EE/CE? The kind of book that you would keep for a lifetime for reference. I am looking for nothing too basic. But one that encompasses fundamentals of Electrical and Computer Engineering.

My search around Amazon led me to insufficient results.

Thanks in advance and have a great day!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone suggest a great book? I need a starting point. Searched around on amazon but most seem to have inadequate ratings.

Perhaps the reason why you have no replies is that at least some EEs never read such a book. I'm not even sure what level this book would be and what material it would include. I finished my Bachelor's in EE 20+ years ago, am still working as an engineer, and have never had a need for such a book and cannot even recall seeing one on the bookshelf of a co-worker... What exactly are you wanting to learn? Perhaps there are better resources for what you are looking for!

jason

Maybe you want a handbook, or something similar as a reference source, for instance, The Natinal Electrical Code Handbook:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0071834788/?tag=pfamazon01-20

As Jason mentioned, that's depend on what are you looking for and your interests. I totally agree, in my 18 years as engineer, I have never seen a colleague with a book, and, I've worked, almost, all around the world, in both, developed and undeveloped countries.

During that period of time, I allways looked for information with the wise old guys, as well as reeding magazines from the IEEE, MIT, etc.

Personally, I joined this forum because I want to come back to study physics, and, people around here is helping me a lot...

Last edited by a moderator:
I would suggest https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521370957/?tag=pfamazon01-20 by Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill. Often when you buy a reference book, you sacrifice its readability for its terseness. As with introduction books, you are given many concepts in a readable format but sacrifice other topics. The Art of Electronics finds a nice middle ground between these two. While many topics are out of date--I believe a new edition is coming out this year, the book contains a breath of topics that covers everything electronic from RC circuits to microprocessor design (again pretty out of date but still pretty relevant). I may also add it is more of a pragmatic book than a theoretical book, but that's pretty expected. It has some good design tips that I believe most engineers will find useful.

As for a "wonder" book, I agree with SuperDaniel and jasonRF. Although Art of Electronics is well-written, you should not completely rely on it. Read IEEE. Join forums. See how other people are doing it. Find a mentor. Be a mentor. Read papers in computer science, mathematics, and even biology. Even discipline brings a new perspectives to the table. Examples would include biomimetics or systems biology. And sometimes a problem is as beautiful as its solution.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are the key topics covered in the best EE fundamentals book?

The best EE fundamentals book typically covers topics such as circuit analysis, electronic devices, signals and systems, electromagnetics, and digital systems. It may also include other related topics such as control systems, communication systems, and power systems.

2. Is the best EE fundamentals book suitable for beginners?

Yes, the best EE fundamentals book is suitable for beginners as it provides a comprehensive introduction to the fundamental concepts and principles of electrical engineering. It is written in a clear and easy-to-understand manner, making it accessible to readers with little to no prior knowledge in the subject.

3. Does the best EE fundamentals book include practical examples and exercises?

Yes, the best EE fundamentals book usually includes practical examples and exercises to help readers apply the concepts they have learned. These exercises may range from simple calculations to more complex design problems, allowing readers to develop their problem-solving skills.

4. How does the best EE fundamentals book compare to other textbooks in the market?

The best EE fundamentals book is often considered to be one of the most comprehensive and well-written textbooks in the market. It is highly recommended by educators and professionals in the field for its clear explanations, relevant examples, and extensive coverage of topics.

5. Can the best EE fundamentals book be used as a reference for advanced courses?

Yes, the best EE fundamentals book can be used as a reference for advanced courses as it covers a wide range of topics in electrical engineering. It also includes more advanced concepts and applications, making it a valuable resource for students and professionals alike.