1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The best EE fundamentals book?

1. Oct 9, 2014 #1
    Hello EE community,

What would you consider the best fundamentals book for EE/CE? The kind of book that you would keep for a lifetime for reference. I am looking for nothing too basic. But one that encompasses fundamentals of Electrical and Computer Engineering.

My search around Amazon led me to insufficient results.

Thanks in advance and have a great day!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2014 #2
    Can anyone suggest a great book? I need a starting point. Searched around on amazon but most seem to have inadequate ratings.

4. Oct 13, 2014 #3

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Perhaps the reason why you have no replies is that at least some EEs never read such a book. I'm not even sure what level this book would be and what material it would include. I finished my Bachelor's in EE 20+ years ago, am still working as an engineer, and have never had a need for such a book and cannot even recall seeing one on the bookshelf of a co-worker... What exactly are you wanting to learn? Perhaps there are better resources for what you are looking for!

jason

5. Oct 13, 2014 #4
    Maybe you want a handbook, or something similar as a reference source, for instance, The Natinal Electrical Code Handbook:

https://www.amazon.com/McGraw-Hills...s=national+electrical+code+2014+mac+graw+hill

As Jason mentioned, that's depend on what are you looking for and your interests. I totally agree, in my 18 years as engineer, I have never seen a collegue with a book, and, I've worked, almost, all around the world, in both, developed and undeveloped countries.

During that period of time, I allways looked for information with the wise old guys, as well as reeding magazines from the IEEE, MIT, etc.

Personally, I joined this forum because I want to come back to study physics, and, people around here is helping me a lot...

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  6. Oct 16, 2014 #5
    I would suggest https://www.amazon.com/The-Art-Elec...1413504847&sr=8-1&keywords=art+of+electronics by Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill. Often when you buy a reference book, you sacrifice its readability for its terseness. As with introduction books, you are given many concepts in a readable format but sacrifice other topics. The Art of Electronics finds a nice middle ground between these two. While many topics are out of date--I believe a new edition is coming out this year, the book contains a breath of topics that covers everything electronic from RC circuits to microprocessor design (again pretty out of date but still pretty relevant). I may also add it is more of a pragmatic book than a theoretical book, but that's pretty expected. It has some good design tips that I believe most engineers will find useful.

As for a "wonder" book, I agree with SuperDaniel and jasonRF. Although Art of Electronics is well-written, you should not completely rely on it. Read IEEE. Join forums. See how other people are doing it. Find a mentor. Be a mentor. Read papers in computer science, mathematics, and even biology. Even discipline brings a new perspectives to the table. Examples would include biomimetics or systems biology. And sometimes a problem is as beautiful as its solution.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted